Installed ssd. Nothing is the same

Pepsipompe

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I noticed my computer was starting to slow down considering it's age. So i bought an SSD. I also wanted to upgrade to windows 10 at the same time. So i installed windows 10 (after the free upgrade) on my ssd and chose it as 1st boot. Now Everything is installed and ready to go. BUT. absolutely none of my programs seem to be installed on my computer anymore. I do have my old HDD still in because i wanted to use that to store larger files. Everything is still on that drive but nothing is operatable on the computer (if you know what i mean). meaning that i am basically only using 1 drive which is my new ssd even though both drives are installed. This is really frustrating, need help.

PS: I use 2 monitors. only one is working, also, i can't increase the herz rate of my 144Hz monitor that i am using. Making it stuck on 60Hz. Would really appreciate help with that aswell.

Solution

2 drives. Small expensive SSD and large cheap HDD.

1 drive, the SSD, for OS and applications. All blindingly fast.
The HDD for stuff that does not need the speed of the HDD, or is simply too large. A 250GB SSD can only hold so much.
So you put your large games, the video collection, music library on the HDD.

A movie doesn't play any faster if it were to live on the SSD. So those go on the cheap drive space, the HDD.

Unless, of course, you have deep pockets and can put all of that on an SSD.

polarexpress1

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
It sounds like you did a clean install of windows. You'll have to clone the hard drive to the ssd before upgrading to windows 10 if you want everything like the way you had it before. Macrium reflect is a free software you can use to clone the drive. Regarding the monitors did you install the drivers for your gpu?

USAFRet

Titan

The new OS on the SSD knows nothing about the applications that live in the old HDD.
You need to reinstall the applications..

What size is this SSD?
How is/was the old C drive total used space?

Pepsipompe

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

I guess i should have specified that the SSD is about 300gb smaller than the storage i currently have on my HDD therefore i could not clone it (unless there is another way). yes, all drivers were installed.
I guess what i thought would happen is kind of the two drives would sync, where i could operate both from what i'm used to seeing. Guess that's not the case huh.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
The new OS on the SSD knows nothing about any applications you had before.

Using 2 drives is no problem. But you'll have to reinstall all those applications.

Pepsipompe

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

The size of the SSD is about 250gb and the HDD is about 600gb.
So i have to install the same programs i'm using on my HDD all over again? What purpose serves having two harddrives in that case?

USAFRet

Titan

2 drives. Small expensive SSD and large cheap HDD.

1 drive, the SSD, for OS and applications. All blindingly fast.
The HDD for stuff that does not need the speed of the HDD, or is simply too large. A 250GB SSD can only hold so much.
So you put your large games, the video collection, music library on the HDD.

A movie doesn't play any faster if it were to live on the SSD. So those go on the cheap drive space, the HDD.

Unless, of course, you have deep pockets and can put all of that on an SSD.

Solution