installed SSD what do I clone from OS hdd?

Jace0207

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I just purchased a new laptop along with a samsung 250gb ssd. The laptop is an ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 15-Inch Gaming Laptop. I want to clone Windows 10 over onto the ssd and use the hdd for data storage only. I am using the Macrium Reflect free version and I am unsure what I have to clone over. The laptop has a 1TB hdd and when i just try to clone the whole thing it says there is not enough room. Which makes no sense because there is 323 gb free of 371 gb on the c: drive. I guess the hdd drive is partitioned because there is also a d: drive labeled data with 558 gb of 558 gb free. When I open the Reflect soft where and choose the gpt disk 1 to clone I have the following options;

1-system (none) FAT32 (LBA) primary 25.1mb/260mb
2-(none) unformated primary 16mb/16mb
3-OS (c: ) NTFS primary 48.07gb/371.85gb
4-recovery (none) NTFS primary 320.6mb/499.0mb
5-data (d: ) NTFS primary 170.2mb/558.91gb

I want to clone this to my ssd disk 2 which is 232.89 of unallocated space.

Solution
OK, so we'll proceed on the basis that your source disk - the 1 TB HDD - has been GPT-partitioned.

As clutchc has pointed out there should be no problem cloning the total data contents of the 1 TB source disk over to your 250 GB SSD since there appears to be only about 50 GB or so of data on the 1 TB disk.

There are two points I want to make with you...

1. I would suggest you use the Samsung Data Migration program that's bundled with a retail Samsung SSD to carry out the disk-cloning program. If you don't have the SDM program because you may have purchased the OEM version, you can download that program from:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

2. Before you undertake...
In the final sentence of your query you refer to the "gpt disk 1 to clone...". Presumably you're referring to the 1 TB HDD that's installed in your laptop as the boot drive, right? You're certain that disk has been GPT-partitioned, yes?
If that is so, please respond and we can go on from here.

Jace0207

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Yes the gpt disk one is in reference to the 1TB hdd that is in the laptop. there is only 1 hdd in the laptop but since it lists both a c: and d: drive I am assuming it is partioned

OK, so we'll proceed on the basis that your source disk - the 1 TB HDD - has been GPT-partitioned.

As clutchc has pointed out there should be no problem cloning the total data contents of the 1 TB source disk over to your 250 GB SSD since there appears to be only about 50 GB or so of data on the 1 TB disk.

There are two points I want to make with you...

1. I would suggest you use the Samsung Data Migration program that's bundled with a retail Samsung SSD to carry out the disk-cloning program. If you don't have the SDM program because you may have purchased the OEM version, you can download that program from:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

2. Before you undertake the disk-cloning operation, use Disk Management to create a GPT partitioned disk for the SSD. Then use the SDM program to carry out the data migration process. This way you'll ensure you have a bootable GPT-partitioned SSD.

Solution

Jace0207

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
OK I successfully cloned the HDD to the SSD using the Samsung software. What is my next step to get the laptop to boot from the SSD so I can use HDD for storage only? When I try to boot up with the SSD even after choosing it as first priority in UEFI, the laptop still boots from HDD and the SSD shows up as offline because it conflicts with the HDD

Jace0207

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
yes it just had one HDD. I installed SSD, cloned the HDD to the SSD. The only way I could get the laptop to boot from the SSD was to remove the HDD. I want to put the HDD back in and use as a data drive. When I put it back in though it boots from that drive no mater what changes I make to the UEFI.

I simply fail to understand your last comment. Assuming the disk-cloning was successful and the SSD is now a potentially bootable, functional drive...

If you uninstall the HDD (source) disk from the laptop and install the cloned SSD in its place, the system boots & functions without problems, yes? Or are you indicating that is NOT the case?

Assuming there's no problem with the cloned SSD...you say "The only way I could get the laptop to boot from the SSD was to remove the HDD." Well of course you would have to remove the HDD from the laptop and have the SSD installed. How else could you get the SSD to boot if it wasn't installed in the laptop?

Perhaps you can clarify your response.

Jace0207

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
The SSD is installed in a different slot of the laptop, it is not replacing the HDD. The SSD I purchased is this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVZTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00. It does not go in the same spot in the laptop. So when I clone the drive then boot from the ssd the hdd overrides and boots from there instead. I want to have both the HDD and SSD installed but I want the machine to boot from SSD so I can reformat HDD to use as storage

You're certain you are unable to set the boot priority order in the UEFI ("BIOS") interface so as to set the SSD first in boot priority?

Is there any chance of temporarily removing the HDD from the laptop and installing it as a USB external HDD? Possibly you have a USB enclosure or one of those SATA-to-USB adapters for this purpose? Or if you have a desktop PC installing the HDD in that PC as a secondary drive?
And if so, then delete the Windows OS from the HDD, or if there is no data on that drive that you want or need, format the disk.

In the meantime, it might be wise to contact ASUS tech support and see if they can provide assistance with this issue.