[SOLVED] Installed Windows 10 on m.2 SSD but it cant boot alone

Nov 29, 2021
I bought a new m.2 SSD so i wanted to install the OS in it. The thing is i did the process of installation in this new SSD while the old SSD with an OS installed was conected to the PC. When i finished installing using an USB and i tried to change booting options from BIOS i couldnt find the m.2 as UEFI and what i did find was the old SSD but with "Windows Boot Manager" added to its boot option. So when i tried to boot the system, Windows Boot Manager pops up and i have to go through it every single time i turn the PC on (eventhough it allows me to boot Windows 10 installed in the m.2). If i try to remove the old SSD and boot the m.2 alone (it isnt a UEFI boot option) it says it is not bootable or sth similar. What im trying to solve or to achieve is being able to boot from the m.2 without needing the old SSD to get Windows Boot Manager and then i can start up the OS in the m.2.

Solution
I bought a new m.2 SSD so i wanted to install the OS in it. The thing is i did the process of installation in this new SSD while the old SSD with an OS installed was conected to the PC. When i finished installing using an USB and i tried to change booting options from BIOS i couldnt find the m.2 as UEFI and what i did find was the old SSD but with "Windows Boot Manager" added to its boot option. So when i tried to boot the system, Windows Boot Manager pops up and i have to go through it every single time i turn the PC on (eventhough it allows me to boot Windows 10 installed in the m.2). If i try to remove the old SSD and boot the m.2 alone (it isnt a UEFI boot option) it says it is not bootable or sth similar. What im trying to...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I bought a new m.2 SSD so i wanted to install the OS in it. The thing is i did the process of installation in this new SSD while the old SSD with an OS installed was conected to the PC. When i finished installing using an USB and i tried to change booting options from BIOS i couldnt find the m.2 as UEFI and what i did find was the old SSD but with "Windows Boot Manager" added to its boot option. So when i tried to boot the system, Windows Boot Manager pops up and i have to go through it every single time i turn the PC on (eventhough it allows me to boot Windows 10 installed in the m.2). If i try to remove the old SSD and boot the m.2 alone (it isnt a UEFI boot option) it says it is not bootable or sth similar. What im trying to solve or to achieve is being able to boot from the m.2 without needing the old SSD to get Windows Boot Manager and then i can start up the OS in the m.2.
You should of installed windows with only the new drive installed.
Windows gets confused a bit and liked to write some data to the old drive so both drives are needed to boot.

Solution
Windows gets confused a bit and liked to write some data to the old drive so both drives are needed to boot.
It doesn't get confused.
System with old drive present already has a bootloader.
When bootloader is present, there's no point in making another bootloader.
That's why, it doesn't get created on the new drive and that's why, new drive doesn't get made bootable.

You can make bootloader manually.
Or just redo windows installation with only single drive connected.

Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
When you installed Windows on your new drive, but didn't disconnect your old drive, that was your main mistake, but don't worry, we all make mistakes (it happened to me too). Easiest one is to disconnect your old drive now and install Windows again on your new drive. After installation you can connect your old drive if you like so.