[SOLVED] Installed Windows 7 On 8TB HDD, But The Install Made Only A 2TB Partition

Solution
Not possible with MBR. While you can use software like DiskWizard to utilize all the space and create multiple 2TB partitions (DiscWizard software installs a device driver which opens the full capacity, you can use it to create a second partition for the capacity above 2.2TB), I would advise you install OS on a cheap 120GB SSD. Then you can have your 8TB as a second data drive, converted to GPT. You only need UEFI BIOS to boot from GPT drives, but you can create GPT non-OS 8TB drives.

Lutfij

Titan
You should post your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Some boards need a BIOS update in order to see drives larger than 2/3TB. That being said, why did you even bother with installing an OS onto an 8TB HDD? You should've gotten a smaller drive since partitioning a large drive multiple times over only decreases it's lifespan.

Not possible with MBR. While you can use software like DiskWizard to utilize all the space and create multiple 2TB partitions (DiscWizard software installs a device driver which opens the full capacity, you can use it to create a second partition for the capacity above 2.2TB), I would advise you install OS on a cheap 120GB SSD. Then you can have your 8TB as a second data drive, converted to GPT. You only need UEFI BIOS to boot from GPT drives, but you can create GPT non-OS 8TB drives.

Reactions: Dragos Manea
Solution

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
You should post your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Some boards need a BIOS update in order to see drives larger than 2/3TB. That being said, why did you even bother with installing an OS onto an 8TB HDD? You should've gotten a smaller drive since partitioning a large drive multiple times over only decreases it's lifespan.
My PSU cables might be stretched a bit too thin to allow for a second internal drive, since I am already using two optical drives. So, if there is an update for my BIOS available, will it automatically expand the install partition after the BIOS update? Or, will I have to format the drive and reinstall Windows again?

So, if there is an update for my BIOS available, will it automatically expand the install partition after the BIOS update? Or, will I have to format the drive and reinstall Windows again?
If your BIOS doesn't support UEFI boot mode, then you can not boot from GPT drive.
GPT is necessary to access drive capacities larger than 2TB.

So your options are:
1. Use smaller drive for boot and use 8TB drive as secondary storage (GPT partition format) or

2. Get a different motherboard, that supports UEFI boot.

My PSU cables might be stretched a bit too thin to allow for a second internal drive, since I am already using two optical drives. So, if there is an update for my BIOS available, will it automatically expand the install partition after the BIOS update? Or, will I have to format the drive and reinstall Windows again?
there is no such thing as BIOS update for older motherboards to support UEFI/GPT as a bootable drive. You can only get a new motherboard. Or, as everyone stated before, you can get another smaller drive for operating system.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
If your BIOS doesn't support UEFI boot mode, then you can not boot from GPT drive.
GPT is necessary to access drive capacities larger than 2TB.

So your options are:
1. Use smaller drive for boot and use 8TB drive as secondary storage (GPT partition format) or

2. Get a different motherboard, that supports UEFI boot.
Ok. But what confuses me, is that back in 2017, I installed a 4 TB internal drive onto this BIOS motherboard, and it created a full 4 TB partition. That 4 TB drive is dated October 2016. So, is it possible that that 4TB drive was formatted with MBR partition?

I installed a 4 TB internal drive onto this BIOS motherboard, and it created a full 4 TB partition. That 4 TB drive is dated October 2016. So, is it possible that that 4TB drive was formatted with MBR partition?
To access full capacity of 4TB drive, it has to be partitioned in GPT.
So obviously it was not partitioned in MBR and you didn't use this drive to boot from.

You can still use GPT partition scheme for secondary storage drive. This limitation applies only to boot drive.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
To access full capacity of 4TB drive, it has to be partitioned in GPT.
So obviously it was not partitioned in MBR and you didn't use this drive to boot from.

You can still use GPT partition scheme for secondary storage drive. This limitation applies only to boot drive.
Except I was using that drive to boot from. The only other info I can provide, is that back then, I installed the Windows 7 from a bootable DVD instead of a bootable USB Flash Drive. Can that make a difference?

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Which motherboard do you have?
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-970A-UD3-AM3-SATA-Motherboard/dp/B0055Q88EO

So, here is my personal conclusion. When I first started using this mobo in 2012, I installed a 1TB HDD. While I was running on this HDD, I updated the BIOS, and by the time I decided to upgrade to 4TB in 2017, the mobo's BIOS was able to use a full 4TB partition.

Unfortunately, my recent motherboard crash may have caused a problem, and now my mobo's BIOS can only do 2TB partitions. Is that an accurate guess?

Currently, I have decided to return the 8TB HDD, and settle for a 2TB HDD. Mainly because of my limited budget, and I can get a Seagate 2TB "good performance" HDD for $50. Ideally, I would like to do the SSD-OS + HDD-Storage combo, but I'm not sure my PSU's cables can manage that setup, especially since I am using two optical drives in my case. Also, my case will need to be thoroughly cleaned before I even consider examining to see if I can manage a dual-drive setup. And of course, I have to wait until my budget can allow that setup.

So, my subsequent question is: After I get an OS installed on a 2TB HDD, then update the BIOS again, theoretically, will I be able to use a 3TB+ single partition again?

P.S. : I cannot conclusively say why my motherboard crashed and temporarily died. A few days prior to the crash, there was strong wind where I live, and there was a power flicker which caused my desktop to restart. That power flux did not immediately make my motherboard crash, but could it have made my motherboard unstable? Another possible reason, is that recently I had to take out a top-mounted 200mm fan, because apparently the center of the blades is clogged with dust, and cleaning that fan is on my to-do list. The thing is, I am running an AMD FX 8350 CPU, which is 8-cores running at 4 GHz (at full load and/or moderate load). Without the 200mm fan's cooling, could my motherboard have gotten overheated/exhausted by the CPU?

Last edited:

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Apparently your motherboard supports Gigabyte Hybrid EFI technology.
https://hwbot.org/news/4628_dualbios_3tb_hdd_support_hybrid_efi_technology

So you should be able to install windows in UEFI mode and use GPT partition scheme for your boot HDD.
Thanks. Although, after my motherboard crashed and resumed working again, it doesn't seem to be able to make 3TB+ partition. Since this board also has dual bios, do you think the crash corrupted the updated BIOS, and the backup BIOS is still on factory default? I think the 3TB+ partitioning requires a BIOS update, which my board no longer seems to have.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
You have to boot from windows install media in UEFI mode,
clean hdd with diskpart and
install windows.

Note - cleaning removes all data from HDD.

Note2 - only windows 7 64bit version supports UEFI boot and GPT boot partitions.
32bit windows 7 doesn't support it.
Thanks for the tips. I think after the crash, my motherboard is now running on the factory default BIOS version. And, according to the product description, the BIOS needs to be updated before it can support EFI 3TB+ partition creation.

Which is why I returned the 8TB HDD, and bought a discounted Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD. In the future, I will look into upgrading to an SSD-OS + HDD-Storage setup.

It is not Firecuda, but it is 7200 RPM, so it should be good enough for high-graphics games set at 1080p 60 fps, right?