[SOLVED] Installed Windows on new SSD

j3ffary

Commendable
Dec 19, 2018
Hi, I had purchased a new SSD with the plan of only having Windows 10 on it along with a few things.

I installed Windows on the new SSD and I was wondering if I can access the old programs I have downloaded on my previous HDD such as Steam or Paint.net for example because when I search up anything it does not show the programs from my HDD.

The HDD still has Windows and I looked around online and saw I could delete it with msconfig but I'm worried I might delete everything so I am lost on how to get rid of Windows on my old HDD and how to access my programs that were installed in it as well.

Solution
The HDD still has Windows and I looked around online and saw I could delete it with msconfig but I'm worried I might delete everything so I am lost on how to get rid of Windows on my old HDD and how to access my programs that were installed in it as well.
msconfig does NOT delete your old OS.
At most, it removes that entry from the boot menu.

And still, those old applications will not be usable.
Reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
msconfig does NOT delete your old OS.
At most, it removes that entry from the boot menu.

And still, those old applications will not be usable.
Reinstall.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have another question. How do I access the previous drive's Desktop, Documents, etc?
This will be a little bit of a pain.
You cannot access it as normal.

At best, you can navigate through the old drive, through the /Users/ folders, and copy that data to somewhere else.
This will involve TakeOwnership. The old Libraries are permission linked to the old user account.

USAFRet

Titan
The better way to manage this is to remove the new drive, boot up from the old drive.
Then, copy the files from your current Libraries.
Documents/Pictures/etc.
Copy them to some other drive.
Just the files, not the containing folder/Library.

Then, you can remove the old HDD, copy those files to the new SSD or wherever.

j3ffary

Commendable
Dec 19, 2018
The better way to manage this is to remove the new drive, boot up from the old drive.
Then, copy the files from your current Libraries.
Documents/Pictures/etc.
Copy them to some other drive.
Just the files, not the containing folder/Library.

Then, you can remove the old HDD, copy those files to the new SSD or wherever.
Ok I will do just that. Thank you for your help.

TRENDING THREADS