Installed with problems

Baraxcus

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
So i recently installed windows 7 on a laptop my brother gave me and it had windows 8 which i sort of disliked... And it installed nicely, It even got to the part where it made me choose my time zone and name the PC. Then it restarted, and now whenever it tries to boot up, it boots up, shuts down, boots up, shuts down endlessly. I'm really noobie when it comes to computers, my brother knows how to fix stuff like this but he's not available atm so i was wondering if someone could help me asap

Solution
Yes the first partition is where you want to install. The second partition (usually hidden) is your recovery partition. Asus placed the partition there so you can recover to it in case of any issues.

BBrent

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
It sounds like a possible issue with the install. If the install breaks and the computer is set to reboot upon failure it will boot loop endlessly. Have you tried using the windows 7 install media and repairing your installation?

BBrent

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Considering its a laptop and came stock with Windows 8 you're best off restoring to factory using the recovery partition. The reason I say stay with Windows 8 is because the drivers are all optimized and made for windows 8. Installing windows 7 will force you to go find all the drivers and reinstall them for windows 7.

Plus in a few weeks windows 10 comes out. You will get a free upgrade and that should solve all your issues with Windows 8.

Baraxcus

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Okay, im in the factory restore menu and its giving me 3 options

1:Recover Windows to first partition only

2: Recover Windows to entire HD

3: Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions

I was watching guides and people chose the first one, im assuming i should as well?

BBrent

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Yes the first partition is where you want to install. The second partition (usually hidden) is your recovery partition. Asus placed the partition there so you can recover to it in case of any issues.

Solution

Baraxcus

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Okay, i sent the computer on it's way, if for whatever reason it doesn't work Ill post on this thread again asking for your help, and if it does, thanks for the help :)

Baraxcus

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
it keeps booting to windows, gets there and then its configuration stuff, and restarts and its done this 3 times in a row now, is this normal?

EDIT: 2 minutes later its configuring but did something different this startup, maybe im just paranoid and its fine