installing 2 cpu fans with only 1 cpu header?

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I was planning on buying a second CPU fan to attach to the exhaust end of a Cooler Master HYPER TX3 EVO... however I only have a single 4-pin CPU header on my Gigabyte Z97-D3 motherboard. The TX3 requires all 4 pins.

Could I connect the second CPU fan as a case fan?

All 3 of my current case fans are connected to the built-in controller on my Fractal R5 and not the motherboard itself. I don't have a spare connection to use with this controller, but i could either buy a 5.25" controller with more connections OR attach the second CPU straight to 1 of the 3 unused mobo case fan headers.

Im not sure which way is more advantageous, or if I should simply not bother for some reason...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading,

Joe

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017

you mean the mobo casefan headers also react in speed to the heat of the mobo/cpu?

bostonstump

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Ok that idea works well for me - I am unable to check the bios yet as the computer is still in construction.

Which side of the CPU cooler do you think will be better suited to the CPU header?
If I am unable to modify speeds in the BIOS, should I consider removing the extra fan if it only runs at full speed?

I am concerned that a constant sys fan @ 1000rpm fan will create obstructive random pressures as the CPU fan rises and falls in rpm so close to it...

Thank you for your answers!