[SOLVED] Installing 2 different Videos cards, each runs it's own monitor

sreilly24590

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
From reading previous posts this seems possible. I really want each to maintain it's own calibration profile as was possible before using 1 video card. I have a GeForce GTX 750 Ti installed and run my BenQ GW2765 as the main monitor. The second monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster226BW. At some point I realized that the monitor doesn't maintain the color calibration that I had done using the Spyder5Pro any longer and looking into the why led me to the belief that Windows 10 won't allow two calibration files to load, one for each monitor. I haven't seen anything to dispute this and also saw that it may be beneficial to install a second video card which I do have to resolve this issue . The second card is an older PNY GeForce GTS 450. Actually I have two of these on the shelf.

What I'm looking for is some advice as to the best approach to solve this issue. The goal is to have accurate color calibration on both monitors as I usually process my astronomy images on the BenQ and check that against the Samsung. Hope this makes sense. Of course the 2nd monitor is used for applications opened other than on my main monitor such as email and the such.

I guess I would also like to be sure that the Samsung can be an extension of the main desk top as was configured in Windows before.

Solution
Actually I figured I had enough information to go ahead and experiment. I installed the GeForce GTS450 and connected the DVI cable to the card and monitor. I restarted Windows 10 Pro 64 and it took a bit longer to boot but eventually showed the main monitor. It seemed hung and I saw a flash so I hit the enter a few times. Evidently there was a dialog or two wanting a reply I couldn't see and this freed it up. I opened Device Manager and looked at Display Adapters and both cards were listed. Then I went to Monitors and again both listed by model. So far so good.

I then opened Spyder5Pro and calibrated both monitors saving each calibration profile. At this point I seem to be well calibrated on each monitor, back to where I was some...

sreilly24590

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Actually I figured I had enough information to go ahead and experiment. I installed the GeForce GTS450 and connected the DVI cable to the card and monitor. I restarted Windows 10 Pro 64 and it took a bit longer to boot but eventually showed the main monitor. It seemed hung and I saw a flash so I hit the enter a few times. Evidently there was a dialog or two wanting a reply I couldn't see and this freed it up. I opened Device Manager and looked at Display Adapters and both cards were listed. Then I went to Monitors and again both listed by model. So far so good.

I then opened Spyder5Pro and calibrated both monitors saving each calibration profile. At this point I seem to be well calibrated on each monitor, back to where I was some months ago.

For now I'd say this was a success. Sorry for making some noise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS