I have an old version of 3D Studios (3D Studios Max R2), and am having
difficulty installing it in Windows XP Home. I keep getting the message:
"The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows

Any ideas how to correct this problem so I can install the 3D Studios?

Malke

Help installing 3D Studios wrote:

> I have an old version of 3D Studios (3D Studios Max R2), and am having
> difficulty installing it in Windows XP Home. I keep getting the
> message: "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
> Microsoft Windows ......
>
> Any ideas how to correct this problem so I can install the 3D Studios?

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

This can also be caused by malware.

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
installed:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above.

If that doesn't help, I'm afraid your old 3D Studio won't run under XP.
Upgrade to a version that is supported by your operating system.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com