[SOLVED] Installing 75W TDP CPU(I7 3770) on 65W TDP motherboard(Intel DH61HO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2020
Dears,

I ordered a core i7 cpu ( Intel i7 3770) 77W TDP

My Current Configuration is

MotherBoard : Intel DH61HO 65W TDP

CPU : Intel core i3 2120
Good cooling fan for CPU

GPU :
NVIDIA GTX1050-TI 4GB

Memory : 8GB DDR3

HDDs : 500 GB HDD + 240 SSD

There is a small difference in TDP 77-65= 12
The question is will the motherboard run the cpu without any problems of TDP ? and If not
what is the solution because I can't refund the CPU anymore.

Regards,

Solution
So having put higher tdp processors in lower tdp thresholds for years now, here's where I think you're at--the bios is not supporting the processor.

So first, put in your old processor and boot up making sure you have the absolute latest bios version installed.

If so, then the next thing to do is completely clear your cmos and try the new processor again.

If this doesn't work, you're going to be getting into stuff can possibly break your motherboard--modified bios and crossflashing bios from other similar motherboards. Luckily, Intel does use very similar bios for different motherboards, so this may be an easy fix.

As far as the actual TDP itself, the solution is simple--remove the pwm pin from the cpu fan connector and tape it so...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I was trying to find a guide for that board to see what BIOS options it's going to give you. Didn't find anything in a super quick search. Might want to navigate that area with your current proc just to see what, if anything, will be available to be changed towards this undervolt quest. Even at that the parameters you see there wouldn't be correct for the (other) chip you are looking to adjust them for. It would have to boot on the i7 to then undervolt/clock it I think.

I noted that the technical service bulletin has some notes about motherboard temps at the cooler and VRM that was fairly low as well.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
TDP is a very unreliable figure that is used more to "class" a processor than it is so much related to the actual power usage and heat. It's a good idea to try and group processors in that way...particularly if Intel and AMD would come to a consensus about what method to use and REAL numbers.

Mar 29, 2020
TDP is a very unreliable figure that is used more to "class" a processor than it is so much related to the actual power usage and heat. It's a good idea to try and group processors in that way...particularly if Intel and AMD would come to a consensus about what method to use and REAL numbers.
whats your suggestion to me after this situation ?

Mar 29, 2020
@punkncat and @rgd1101 check this out :

My current CPU which is core i3 2120 its TDP = 65W
I did stress test right now for 10 min and its max package TDP was 35W check the screenshot.
Its not even reaching 65W, its reaching the half only

Ab4LPO6.png

I think the i7 will run with max 65w tdp.
Hope this will work
Whats is your opinion guys ?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
An alternate idea concerning this....Since buying just a motherboard for that in a specific form factor could be challenging or expensive.

IDK what your current case/build is as to custom or prebuilt, however you should be able to score a refurbished office build that supports that chip easily enough. Both Dell and HP are good choices.
Dell are a bit quirky to build with/from in regard to a "gaming" computer. They use some proprietary connectors (which there are adapters for) and often their cases don't accommodate GPU easily. With that said, you should be able to source a "barebones" OptiPlex 7010 or 9010 MT that would suit your needs cheaply.

Reactions: ali1864
So having put higher tdp processors in lower tdp thresholds for years now, here's where I think you're at--the bios is not supporting the processor.

So first, put in your old processor and boot up making sure you have the absolute latest bios version installed.

If so, then the next thing to do is completely clear your cmos and try the new processor again.

If this doesn't work, you're going to be getting into stuff can possibly break your motherboard--modified bios and crossflashing bios from other similar motherboards. Luckily, Intel does use very similar bios for different motherboards, so this may be an easy fix.

As far as the actual TDP itself, the solution is simple--remove the pwm pin from the cpu fan connector and tape it so it does not electrically connect with anything else. This will cause the cpu fan to run at full speed all the time. I've used 65w heatsinks on 95w processors doing this and it works fine, even stress testing in 80F environments until the heatsink is completely heatsoaked. For normal usage, this set up works great. You should also do the same with any other fans in the system to maximize all airflow.

Reactions: ali1864
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.