Installing 8.1 on new build

UsVersusThem

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Hey guys, just finished building my first pc and I'm trying to install windows 8.1 (student) on it via usb but having no luck. I bought and downloaded right from Microsoft, and using their usb setup. Pc started up trying to install windows fine, but when I enter my product code it says it's not for the install I'm using (says only windows 8 when starting) (also called Microsoft to check the code which is right, but the guy helping couldn't understand there was no os on it already).

Did I get the wrong download because it says windows 8, or am I missing something?

Trying to redownload as I type this as windows 8.1 even though I'm sure that's what I tried last time.

UsVersusThem

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Yeah called Microsoft and the guy confirmed the code was valid for 8.1. After 1/2 hour of him being unable to wrap his head around the fact my build doesn't have an OS on it, he concluded that I had the wrong download because upon boot it says windows 8 instead of 8.1, then ended the call by giving me a link to an 8.1 download...which only works on the pc you're currently on...

This link should be give you window 8.1 anyway.:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media