Question Installing 8GB ram stick

Mar 3, 2019
Hey,
I’ve just purchased 8GB of ram for my desktop PC but when I install it in either one of my free RAM spots my PC will start for approx. 5 seconds, the fans and lights will work but then turn off, and try to reboot again in a cycle.

I’m not great with PCs and obviously something isn’t right and I’m doing something wrong. The RAM is pressed all the way in and it’s been done while the power is off.

I currently have 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 9-9-9-24 1.5V RAM sticks installed and wanted to upgrade to 16GB with a single 8GB Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 1.5V stick. On the Kingston website it says that the stick (part number KVR16N11/8) should work with my motherboard (gigabyte H87-D3H) but maybe there’s a problem when trying to mismatch the 2 different brands/ram size sticks?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully you have more of an idea about this than I do. If you need anymore information don’t hesitate to ask.
Kyle

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah, often times, mixing and matching rams will only lead to the sort of issue you're dealing with. Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Does the single stick of 8GB work without the 2 Corsair sticks? Ideally you should've looked into buying the same kit of Corsair ram or a 4x4GB ram kit off Ebay.

Mar 3, 2019
No worries,
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H87-D3H
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8Gb RAM (2 X 4Gb) SKU ID: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
SSD/HDD: Samsung S2 750GB External Hard Drive + 120GB in-built SSD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB
PSU: 650w LitePower
Chassis:
Rotanium Temper-TG101
OS
: Microsoft Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

"Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Does the single stick of 8GB work without the 2 Corsair sticks? Ideally you should've looked into buying the same kit of Corsair ram or a 4x4GB ram kit off Ebay."
- I am on a 2013 update for my BIOS so I assume not the latest, the single stick of 8GB does work without the 2 corsair sticks. I guess it is just a problem with mismatching the different brands?
Thanks