[SOLVED] Installing a 3rd Stick of RAM

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I'm planning on increasing from 16 to 24, both my memory modules already installed are the same. Following my motherboard manual they're slotted into DIMMA2 first and then DIMMB2 and now I'm wondering where I'll be slotting my 3rd which will also be the same module, whether it'll be DIMMA1 or DIMMB1?

Solution
Getting an identical kit, to what you have now, for 32gb, is the cheapest option, and will have a far lower chance of not working, than using mixed ram.

Best idea, get an actual 2x16gb kit.
First off, I wouldn't run that computer with 3 sticks of RAM. With an even number of sticks your system will utilize dual channel memory access. With 1 or 3 sticks, it will revert back to single channel. This will decrease performance. How much depends on the application, but there are plenty of reviews out there that can give you an idea.

If you are going to put in a 3rd stick anyway, I would put it in A1 unless the CPU heatsink is in the way.

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Cheers for the reply. So it's preferable to use all 4 slots to utilize the system? If so, should I get dual sticks of 4gb to make 8? It'll be the same as the modules I have already just split.

D

Deleted member 14196

you are still taking a hit and miss approach by mixing ram. memory is only guaranteed to work in the form sold--kits. It may work, a lot of times it does, but few times there are problems

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
So my alternative would be to get 2 more modules of the same RAM I have now and go from 16 to 32? As they'll all be the same module? Or am I still missing something with that too.

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Why do you need more RAM, what do you use your PC for?

What CPU/mobo do you have?

Adding a 3rd stick will still allow the first 16GB to run in dual channel (called flex mode/channel), but as said above you can run into issues combining different RAM.

I initially was looking into increasing up to 24 as I don't necessarily need 32. I mainly modify and play games, occasionally watching youtube videos while I do so, same new games however do take advantage of my remaining memory, not crippling my system but taking enough to make me want more for future operations.

But as said above, to avoid problems it's preferable to have identical modules and since my existing ones are both 8gb, I don't truly mind getting another 2 to avoid any issues and having 32Gb won't hurt I guess.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have never heard of a game requiring more than 16 GB of RAM. Even if you have a browser open on another screen, unless you have tons of tabs open. And even then, Window's ought to move any inactive tabs to the pagefile if you start running out of RAM.

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Outright I don't think any game requires an entire 16GB of RAM but I could be wrong, none I play however do. At the current moment my system Is using 40% of my memory leaving on average around 9.5 GB of my 16. I've got 2 tabs of chrome open plus a youtube video playing on my second monitor. So I guess you could say 3 tabs of chrome open.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Windows will typically pre-load frequently used files/apps into memory to try to speed up your system . But if you start running things that need the RAM, Windows will try to make room in RAM for it. I doubt all 9.5 GB of RAM that you're using at relative idle really needs to be stored in physical memory.

If you want to get 32GB there's no harm in it (other than the cost), I'm just saying I wouldn't expect to see any performance benefit from doing so.

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
That's why at first I wasn't aiming to get 32 GB as I don't really need It, but to avoid issues and with the modules I currently have I'd rather just balance It out and get identical modules for all 4 slots.

I've been checking pricing on some sites and In most cases there's very little difference between the cost of buying a kit of 2 or 2 sticks separately. My certain module separately on Amazon for a combined cost of £66.4 where as a kit It's £71.95, I guess prices differ where ever you go, just gotta find the best deal.