Question Installing a 6700 XT not as easy as I thought ?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I'm trying to upgrade from an RX 570 to a Sapphire 6700 XT.

I was hoping it would be easy. Not so much.

I took out the old card and put in the new card. It looked like the old card had 2x4 power connections, and two HDMI cables.

The New card has the 2x4, and also a 2x3. I scrounged around in the case and found the cable had a second set of 3z2 and 1x2, and plugged in the 3x2.

But, the video connecters don't fit. The ports aren't clearly labeled and the manual doesn't clear it up. I plan to google to try to confirm what connectors, but am basically wondering, should I plan to buy a new cable, or as the manual suggests, get 'dongles' or adapters from the HDMI to whatever is needed.

(It's a bit nerve wracking. Looking for the extra power connector it felt like I yanked a cable out of somewhere, and sure enough, when I replaced the old RX 570, it wouldn't power on. But I found that yes, I'd unplugged what looked like a 4x2 power connecter, plugged it back in, and powered up. To no video.

After several times trying the video cables being switched around, I finally tried pushing the card in extra hard, noticing the fans weren't on. That actually worked.)

For the outputs, looking at them head on with the GPU installed, it should go from left to right: Display Port --> HDMI --> Display Port --> Display Port.

As for the power connections, it's recommended to get a PSU that has the proper connectors. Judging by your old GPU and lack of proper connectors, I suspect the PSU is probably old at this point and needing to be replaced to be able to power newer hardware.

I'm trying to upgrade from an RX 570 to a Sapphire 6700 XT.

I was hoping it would be easy. Not so much.

I took out the old card and put in the new card. It looked like the old card had 2x4 power connections, and two HDMI cables.

The New card has the 2x4, and also a 2x3. I scrounged around in the case and found the cable had a second set of 3z2 and 1x2, and plugged in the 3x2.

But, the video connecters don't fit. The ports aren't clearly labeled and the manual doesn't clear it up. I plan to google to try to confirm what connectors, but am basically wondering, should I plan to buy a new cable, or as the manual suggests, get 'dongles' or adapters from the HDMI to whatever is needed.

(It's a bit nerve wracking. Looking for the extra power connector it felt like I yanked a cable out of somewhere, and sure enough, when I replaced the old RX 570, it wouldn't power on. But I found that yes, I'd unplugged what looked like a 4x2 power connecter, plugged it back in, and powered up. To no video.

After several times trying the video cables being switched around, I finally tried pushing the card in extra hard, noticing the fans weren't on. That actually worked.)
Both cards have 8pin power inputs. PCIe standard is 6+2 pins. 4+4 are usually reserved for CPU power. Should not mix or adapt from one to other.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
On the PS, it's a Corsair HX750i that is old like the whole system. I can replace it if needed, but would rather not if not needed. The card doesn't take that much more power and I think it ha enough.

Looking at the cards, on the RX 570, I see a 4x2 power connecter, which you refer to as 8 pin. On the 6700 XT, I see that, and another 3x2 socket close to it.

I'm just using the same cable I did on the old card, so that should be ok. On the other hand, for the new second socket, I'm using connecters from the middle of the same cable and am not sure that's ok.

I did see the 6700 ports labelled 'D D HDMI D'; oddly I tried both HDMI cables on all the ports and none fitted, I'd think at least the HDMI port should have fit.

So I'm still unclear on the main question, what I need to do. Presumably either buy a new cable to go from the Acer 34" monitor to Display Port(s) (1, 2, 3?), or get an adapter for the HDMI connecters to Display Port.

(I'm not sure why there are two HDMI cables used instead of one, but there are. Normal I assume).

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6700 XT. Unfortunately I haven't really learned posting pictures.

Even if I got the one HDMI to fit, it leaves one not plugged in.

If I do switch to Displayport, I'm not sure how many or which of the three to use.

If I should buy a Diplayport cable(s) or adapters, any suggestion which/where?

What is the EXACT model of the 6700XT?

That makes no sense that an HDMI cable doesn't fit.

Even better would be a picture of the rear panel with the GPU installed.
looks like reference 6700 xt to me 1x8pin +1x 6pin
6700xt-board-design.png

I did see the 6700 ports labelled 'D D HDMI D'; oddly I tried both HDMI cables on all the ports and none fitted, I'd think at least the HDMI port should have fit.
hdmi should fit, maybe your gpu isnt properly mounted and your case is obstructing it
(I'm not sure why there are two HDMI cables used instead of one, but there are. Normal I assume).
sngle monitor with two hdmi cables?
two possible reasons
monitor is old, uses hdmi 2.0 while it needs higher bandwith, so half screen renders from one cable, another half from second cable
those are rare these days

second reason would be, you just need to use single cable, second cable plug to game console, than just switch between sources

Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6700 XT. Unfortunately I haven't really learned posting pictures.

Even if I got the one HDMI to fit, it leaves one not plugged in.

If I do switch to Displayport, I'm not sure how many or which of the three to use.

If I should buy a Diplayport cable(s) or adapters, any suggestion which/where?
I would go with a new Display Port cable.

It doesn't matter which one is used on the GPU.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Monitor is the Acer XR342CK. Maybe I don't need to plug both HDMI in.

Any suggestion which Displayport cable, where to order, which port it goes in, is it just one.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
OK, the plan is when the cable arrives tomorrow, take out old card and HDMI cables (apparently hooking up two didn't cause a problem), go from 4x2 power to 4x2 and 3x2 leaving a 1x2 not hooked up.

I'm not planning anything fancy about removing old drivers and safe mode, just booting with the new card and hoping it works automatically and then downloading drivers from AMD.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
That situation of the power cable having a 3x2 and 1x2 pair of connectors, and the card having that slot for a 3x2 where the 1x2 goes unused, seems a bit odd, but.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Does it matter which of the three Displayport ports to use? Is there any 'HDMI' default that needs to be changed to use Displayport? I saw a post from someone where Displayport didn't work but HDMI did.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Here's where things are. I installed the new card and it doesn't work.

The specific symptoms are that when I power on, the GPU fans spin for about a minute, then stop.

The monitor gets 'cable not connected'. Sometimes it allows changing the input, and I changed it from HDMI to DP, but it didn't matter. I tried different DP ports on the card.

I don't know if the fans quitting spinning is normal for 'no heat, no need', or indicate anything. But that they spin on powerup tells me the power is working. Brand new DP cable.

One question:

The HDMI cables are still connected to the monitor but not the other end. Would that matter? (It's a lot easier not having to re-connect them to the monitor if I have to use the old card, twice now).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You're referring to 6+2 pin PCIE connectors, correct? I think you are referring to connectors as x by y rather than the number of pins, but I don't want to assume that since connectors are never referred to as columns by rows and this is safety equipment.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
You're right, 6+2 and 3x2 with 1x2 are the same. I just called them that because it makes sense and I don't know a convention.

I saw an online mention that 'it's ok to use the connecters on the same cable in a daisy chain' for the card, which is what I did. It leaves one '2 pin connecter' loose.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Doesn't seem to be much response in a while, but a couple days into using the HDMI no problem, it suddenly had the monitor display its logo and go black, had to power cycle the PC.