Installing a Duorb, ati hd4850 won't come out? [card out, new problem]

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Ok first time I'm taking out a mobo, (I'm taking it off because the gpu (hd4850), somehow became stuck below the mobo?, I don't know it just won't come out), so I need tips and recommendations, can I use latex gloves instead of antistatic bands?, what shyould I NOT touch, etc, I hope this goes smoothly..., btw I'm not talking about the card being stuck in the pci-express slot, it's the little metal plate where you conect your monitor that just won't come out, oh and I need tips on how to apply the thermal paste, as I said it's my first time :cry:

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
um, have you ever built a computer before? it sounds like you don't know a thing. Before you ask here, google is your friend by the way. i think the metal plate you are referring to is the expansion slot... it should have a screw on the inside of the case. touch the power supply housing before touching any other components to get rid of static.

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
it has an screw, i took it out, the screw is out, the card is out of the pci-express slot, is there another screw?, and yes I'm talking about the expansion slot, touching the power slupply housing? ok, but wouldn't latex gloves be better?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
just touch the psu and you won't get any static. gloves are useless. theres a ltitle tab on the end of the pci express slot (ie underneath the gfx card). did you build this computer in the first place or what?

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I didn't it was built in a store, and I know about the tab in the pci-slot, it was OUT of it, the part of the card that won't wcome out is the expansion slot part.

Huh?!?!?!?
There is no way that you can have the card out of the PCIe slot, the screw out, and the tab out and still have it stuck in the case unless you have really screwed up and bent the heck out of something. Have you looked closely and carefully to see just exactly what it is hanging up on?

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I didn't bent anything I didn't built the computer neither I forced anything I just took the thing out of the pci slot and the screw, those idiots from the store did a mess inside the case, there is a mess with cables, worst part is I can't tell them I looked inside because I voided the warranty, meh I'll just try to find a way to take it out without taking the mobo out.

G

how hard can it be to to remove something from a computer...

you look at it with your eyes... go hmm... theres a screw... i should unscrew that...

then go you... wow it looks like theres a clip down near the motherboard

maybe i should try pushing that while pulling up on the gpu...

hmm... it came out....

how hard can it be... even if you bent something you wouldn't have it stuck in there unless you like superglued it or something... in that case it wouldn't work as there would be poor contact...

G

hes not responding because he realized exactly what you said venom... you have to pull on it and not just expect it to go against gravity... and magically just kinda pop out of the surrounding electronics

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I'm sorry I finally found out what was wrong, it wasn't the pcislot plastic thing... that was already out, the card was kinda stuck below a part of the case, don't ask me how, the thing is it got out, now I'm having a MAJOR problem and I'm really worried, as I finally took the card out I was going to take the heatsink off, but to my surprise one of the X shaped thing screws has a very damaged head and I can't take my heatsink out, I'm literally panicking, here is a picture...

Imagen036.jpg

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hmm, bummer. Looks like you stripped a screw with the wrong size 'phillips' head screwdriver. Try a small jewlers screwdriver that will fit in what is left of the head. Or..............

You'll need to buy the right size left handed drill bit and a proper sized screw remover for that probably, they are pretty cheap at any tool store and come in sized sets.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
lol i still dont get the point of aftermarket coolers when you could pay that extra $50-$100 on a better graphics card that will perform better than the low end overclocked one!

edd722

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
heh i didnt buy the cooler for overclocking, is just the hd4850 it really gets hot plus my case blows so with 70% fan it still gets to 95º :| on load

jaibot18

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
venom stop posting unhelpful posts, this guy is obviously new. Help him maybe?
One thing you can try is to take a file or maybe a dremel if you are very careful and make a slot in the head of the screw. Basically you need something to cut a small slot across the head of the screw so you can use a flat head to get it out. Understand?