[SOLVED] Installing a M.2 SSD but keeping the HDD for storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2019
I bought a M.2 SSD that I want to install on my laptop and use as the primary drive. I want to keep my HDD for storage. I have researching on how to do this and I think it should be pretty easy but I am confused on what to do about the windows I have currently installed on the HDD. I don't care too much about losing data. So I guess my question is do I need to delete the OS off of my HDD? I think I can just format/reformat it from what I have found so if that's correct then the bigger question is do I format/reformat the HDD after or before I install the M.2 SSD? Or can I just remove the HDD, install the SSD and install windows to the SSD......then just put the HDD back in and it wont have any problems even though both drives will have windows on them?

sorry if this is confusing I was trying to make it less confusing that's why I asked so many questions

Solution
Essentially there are 2 options, how to do this:
#1 Cloning (this is significantly faster than other option):
clone contents from HDD to SSD,​
disconnect HDD,​
change boot sequence in BIOS and boot from SSD,​
reconnect HDD,​
clean and repartition and reformat HDD.​
#2 Clean installation:
disconnect HDD,​
install windows on SSD,​
reconnect HDD,​
copy user data from HDD to SSD,​
clean, repartition and reformat HDD.​
Essentially there are 2 options, how to do this:
#1 Cloning (this is significantly faster than other option):
clone contents from HDD to SSD,​
disconnect HDD,​
change boot sequence in BIOS and boot from SSD,​
reconnect HDD,​
clean and repartition and reformat HDD.​
#2 Clean installation:
disconnect HDD,​
install windows on SSD,​
reconnect HDD,​
copy user data from HDD to SSD,​
clean, repartition and reformat HDD.​

Reactions: thailer63
Solution
two choices:
remove HDD, install windows on SSD, refit HDD and delete everything on HDD, use HDD as storage. Have clean windows install and NO data.
or
Install SSD (physically), clone HDD to SSD, remove HDD to test that everything works, refit HDD and delete everything on HDD, use HDD as storage. Have existing installation, everything works, no data loss.

There are nuances as to how to do this, but these are your choices.

Reactions: thailer63
Mar 14, 2019
Be 100% aware that the new installation options will cause 100% data loss unless you take steps to save data elsewhere. (we see too many, "I formatted my drive and now I can't find my data" type questions to not say anything. )

yea I understand that, I don't really have anything I need to keep I will just reinstall games that's all I really do on my computer..... but thank you for looking out for me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS