[SOLVED] Installing a M.2 SSD

Jul 17, 2019
So soon I am going to be getting a M.2 SSD and I want to know what to expect to do. I already have a gaming PC that I built and I don't know if i have to unplug anything before I install it or if I need to download anything to make the SSD work once it is plugged in. Can someone inform me please. And sorry if this is in the wrong section, I don't know if this question belongs in the storage or memory categories. Thank you!

popatim

Titan
That is fine though the 256gb model doesn't come close to the advertised specs which is for the 1Tb.
The other issue is that the drive is that it does not support 512 bit sectors at all so you will be doing a completely fresh installation of windows; but that is recommended anyways.

USAFRet

Titan
So soon I am going to be getting a M.2 SSD and I want to know what to expect to do. I already have a gaming PC that I built and I don't know if i have to unplug anything before I install it or if I need to download anything to make the SSD work once it is plugged in. Can someone inform me please. And sorry if this is in the wrong section, I don't know if this question belongs in the storage or memory categories. Thank you!
What other drives do you currently have?

For a gaming PC, don't get all starry eyed over the theoretical speed of the NVMe vs a SATA III SSD.
And especially don't get an off brand 3rd rate drive.

Jul 17, 2019
That is fine though the 256gb model doesn't come close to the advertised specs which is for the 1Tb.
The other issue is that the drive is that it does not support 512 bit sectors at all so you will be doing a completely fresh installation of windows; but that is recommended anyways.
So is there anything that you can recommend that is around that price range? And if it is a new installation of windows does that mean I have to buy it again?

USAFRet

Titan
You do not have to buy a Windows license again. A reinstall on a new drive in this same system will not trigger any licensing issues.

What other drives are in this system?

Jul 17, 2019
You do not have to buy a Windows license again. A reinstall on a new drive in this same system will not trigger any licensing issues.

okay thanks

Jul 17, 2019

But is there anything that i can get that is better and about the same price?

USAFRet

Titan
Solution