[SOLVED] Installing a Modem

Apr 28, 2022
Hello all, I am having this issue and I am hoping to resolve it here. Basically, for the past 3 years I've had CenturyLink but it's been garbage so I got an Orbi Router & Satellite combo thing which I thought at the time would help my internet go faster (it didn't) cause it was connected router to Orbi router which caused a double nat issue. So basically what I wanted to do was connect the Coax cable from the wall jack into a modem I have and connect it to my Orbi router to fix the Double Nat issue. I did all that but for some odd reason it provides no signal, after searching on the internet it says it needs to be activated, so I ordered a tool to trace the coax cable (I had quite a few cables in my maintenance closet) and found the correct wire today. So I connected it to my splitter, but even after doing all that no signal provided. What could cause this sort of issue?

Solution
I am unclear what you did.

Your current router must have a modem built in. So did you just disconnect that and hook up your new modem in the same place.

It should be that simple with 1 major exception. You must call your ISP and give them the mac address of your new modem so they tie it to your account. That is how they force people to pay for their service. If you could just hook up any modem and it works you would have all kinds of people tapping into the cable lines.
In addition I hope you checked to be sure the modem you purchased works/is allowed on the ISP network. The ISP is responsible for all firmware updates on modem even ones you own. To keep their support costs down they many time only support a small...

Your current router must have a modem built in. So did you just disconnect that and hook up your new modem in the same place.

It should be that simple with 1 major exception. You must call your ISP and give them the mac address of your new modem so they tie it to your account. That is how they force people to pay for their service. If you could just hook up any modem and it works you would have all kinds of people tapping into the cable lines.
In addition I hope you checked to be sure the modem you purchased works/is allowed on the ISP network. The ISP is responsible for all firmware updates on modem even ones you own. To keep their support costs down they many time only support a small list compared to what will technically work.

Note if it was just double NAT you likely could have just put your current router into bridge mode which only uses the modem part.

Solution
Apr 28, 2022

In addition I hope you checked to be sure the modem you purchased works/is allowed on the ISP network. The ISP is responsible for all firmware updates on modem even ones you own. To keep their support costs down they many time only support a small list compared to what will technically work.

Note if it was just double NAT you likely could have just put your current router into bridge mode which only uses the modem part.

My fault. Bad explanation on my part. So CenturyLink provided the Modem + Router built together. So connecting my ORBI router would cause a double nat issue which would deplete my Wi-Fi performance. So I purchased a modem and connected my ORBI router to fix that issue. I see what your saying, but on centurylinks equipment it’s a Ethernet cable rather than coax cable. Would this still work if I called them and let them know the MAC address to activate?

Also I saw that you could put it in Bridge Mode. However last time I did that it took me a while to get back to the centurylink admin page to undo those actions cause the network didn’t exist.

I strongly suspect you have made a big mistake.

From your description if the ISP box is a combined modem/router and it connect to the internet with what looks like a ethernet cable then you likely have a DSL connection. That ethernet is actually a telephone line.

You can't just hook a coax cable up to things in your house the coax cable must run all the way to the ISP. The ISP has to actually offer internet over COAX which would use DOCSIS rather than DSL. If they offer this they will likely have to come out to the house and connect the coax cable. Many times these are disconnected in the street.