Oct 26, 2010
My build:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK
G.Skill Aegis 16Gb 2400 DDR4
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe
Corsair CX-500M PSU
Corsair Carbide 200R

Last week my son called me at work and said he spilled some pop into my computer case which sits next to the desk. He unplugged the computer (great job son!) and checked inside, but did not see any liquid in the case so he plugged it back in and powered it on (NOOOOOO!!!!). Immediately it started to smoke, so he unplugged it again. When I got home I began investigating what was smoking and found that it was my GPU. I disassembled my entire system, looked for any visible liquid remnants (which there were none) laid everything out to dry just in case there was some liquid that I missed and waited for a full 48 hours. After reassembling my system with an older GPU the CPU debugging light on my motherboard is on indicating the CPU has failed or is not detected. The question is do I dare buy just a new CPU and install it on the old motherboard, or just build a whole new system?

Solution
Yep, completely disassembled, and reassembled as if I were building from new. I was planning a new SFF build based on the X570 chipset anyway so I might just go that way.
Well....if you didn't remove and reseat the CPU.....I would have suggested doing it....and I suggest maybe even doing it again.....but liquid can kill a motherboard quick so I'm still thinking it's probably the MB....and liquid wouldn't even have to hit the MB. It could cause a short in the GPU and cause excess current in the MB this frying it.
So being you disassembled you entire system....that means you removed the CPU and inspected it and the socket and reinstalled the CPU correct?

Then I think it's more likely the MB has failed than the CPU.
MB tend to be more fragile.
I'd try and replace the MB.

dchest02

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So being you disassembled you entire system....that means you removed the CPU and inspected it and the socket and reinstalled the CPU correct?

Then I think it's more likely the MB has failed than the CPU.
MB tend to be more fragile.
I'd try and replace the MB.

Yep, completely disassembled, and reassembled as if I were building from new. I was planning a new SFF build based on the X570 chipset anyway so I might just go that way.

Well....if you didn't remove and reseat the CPU.....I would have suggested doing it....and I suggest maybe even doing it again.....but liquid can kill a motherboard quick so I'm still thinking it's probably the MB....and liquid wouldn't even have to hit the MB. It could cause a short in the GPU and cause excess current in the MB this frying it.

Solution