Question Installing a new fan's backplate on assembled PC ?

Aevee

Commendable
Aug 24, 2019
I bought a noctua NH-U9S CPU fan to replace my old Arctic Alpine 11 fan, and I thought installing it would mean just screwing it on top of the CPU, but the manual says I have to take out the motherboard to install a backplate on top of it.

My question is, how exactly do I install it? My PC case doesn't allow access to the motherboard's back from what I can tell. Do I have to disassemble my entire PC, or do I take out my motherboard with everything still on top of it? If I do that, how do I install the backplate on the back of the motherboard? Wouldn't it damage components if I laid the motherboard upside down on the desk?

And finally, if I decide it's too much of a bother, do all CPU fans require installing a backplate like this, or can I get another one that won't require taking out the motherboard?

Specs:
CPU intel core i7 9700k
GPU ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU Cooler Master Masterwatt 750
NVMe SSD Western Digital Black SN750
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 UD
Hard Drive WD Blue 500GB
RAM Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM (2x16)
OS Windows 10

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Just for the record - this CPU fan?

https://noctua.at/pub/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u9s_manual_en_web_v2.pdf

And your are referring to Step 2 on Page 1 - correct?

= = = =

That said: what is the reason for replacing the Arctic Alpine 11 fan?

Are there actual temperature problems? Being "old" is not necessarily a bad thing....

And if there are temperature problems other solutions may be available.

Installing a new fan may not be a solution to the problem.

Aevee

Commendable
Aug 24, 2019
Just for the record - this CPU fan?

https://noctua.at/pub/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u9s_manual_en_web_v2.pdf

And your are referring to Step 2 on Page 1 - correct?

= = = =

That said: what is the reason for replacing the Arctic Alpine 11 fan?

Are there actual temperature problems? Being "old" is not necessarily a bad thing....

And if there are temperature problems other solutions may be available.

Installing a new fan may not be a solution to the problem.
Yes, that's the fan and the step I was referring to.

I'm replacing my old fan because my CPU was overheating (90-100 celsius). I tried reapplying thermal paste, didn't seem to help. It's pretty old, about 8 years or longer. The deciding factor in whether to replace it or not was when one of the pushpins broke when I tried reseating it on the CPU (oops).

I built my PC myself with a pretty small case and not very good cable management so it probably has bad airflow but I don't think there's much I can do about it, and I don't think it used to reach temps this high.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Especially the PSU: make, model, wattage, age , condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

My thought is that the PSU may be starting to falter and fail. If all (case, cables, etc.) worked well before then air flows may not be the problem.

Barring that the case, vents, fans, etc. are not clogged with dust and debris. All clean - correct?

Aevee

Commendable
Aug 24, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Especially the PSU: make, model, wattage, age , condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

My thought is that the PSU may be starting to falter and fail. If all (case, cables, etc.) worked well before then air flows may not be the problem.

Barring that the case, vents, fans, etc. are not clogged with dust and debris. All clean - correct?
I updated the post with my specs. The PSU is about 2 years old, bought in new condition.

Inside the case isn't very clean, I sprayed it with an air can but it wasn't enough to clean 100% of the dust stuck to components, so it's pretty dusty.

My hard drive and SSD are both pretty much always full, I make some space whenever I need to install anything.

Aevee

Commendable
Aug 24, 2019
Getting back to the original issue, since I still have to install my new fan, I'll probably just let a professional do it if it means disassembling the PC.