Installing A new graphics card on hp pavilion p6813w

chadthom32

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I recently bought a Radeon HD 6870 graphics card and a Corsair CX600 PSU for my HP Pavilion p6813w. I wanted to upgrade the integrated graphics card that the system comes with and its 240W PSU.

The problem Im having is that the monitor goes into sleep mode because its not getting a input signal from the VGA plug in. I've tried to look up what is needed to be done to disable the integrated graphics card and have found multipule suggestions on how to do it, from disableing through the divice manager and uninstall drivers to going into safe mode to disable and not uninstalling. Nothing has worked so far, still no signal for monitor.

Im wondering if the card I bought might be bad? Or am I not doing something right?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
If not, go into your BIOS and see if it has a setting for 'default display' or something about the display output..... if it is set to Onboard, change it to PCI-E... then make sure you have all the cables correctly connected... like the 6-pin directly to the card... and a VGA from the card to the monitor... and the monitor set to VGA as it's input.

chadthom32

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I've gone over all the connections and the seating and it is all set right and I do plug the monitor into the graphics card and not the motherboard. Still no signal. I dont think the conections and the seating is the problem, I think the computer is trying to still read the original graphics card or the new one is bad.

The fan comes on on the new card so I know its getting power, I have the card plugged into the new PSU, monitor is connected to the new card using the adaptor that came with the card and still no signal

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Like I said..... "If not, go into your BIOS and see if it has a setting for 'default display' or something about the display output..... if it is set to Onboard, change it to PCI-E... "

Changing stuff in windows will not help unless the BIOS is set properly. Please check BIOS and report back.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
"monitor is connected to the new card using the adaptor that came with the card and still no signal " what do you mean? What adapter? Can't you just connect it the same way you used to with the onboard video?

TRENDING THREADS