[SOLVED] Installing a new Mobo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Any tips ? I've bought the B450 Tomahawk Max. Never done a mobo before but i've done plenty of research.
I did the PSU and the Cooler not long ago , so thought i'd upgrade the mobo too

Is it ok to install the CPU cooler whilst it's outside the case as it would make it much easier for me to screw it in. ? ( Last time i installed my CPU Cooler it was tricky doing it in the case )

Solution
Yes, do it outside the case. Best practice when building a computer is to install as much as physically possible onto the motherboard before putting it into the case. Examples being, Installing the CPU, RAM, CPU cooler, any m.2 drives you may have, etc. It'll make installing everything else much easier. If you want to go a step further, you can try to install everything outside and then boot it before installing it all in the case so you can test if all your components are working. This is a bit more advance though and requires extra time and technical knowledge.