Installing a new Processor do i need to reinstall windows?

Jlobel

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
i am going to be installing a new processor cause my current amd athlong 64 3400 clawhammer is pretty much toast. my little sisters overheated it and its crashing from heat even in firefox. but befor i purchase a amd athlon 64 3700 for my socket 754 board do i need to reinstall windows after i have installed it. i know this is somwut of a noob question but i just want to confirm that i wont need to

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
no u dont have to reinstall windows... unless somthing goes terribly wrong! lol jk ,so yeah u dont have to reinstall anyhting 8)

linux_0

Splendid
i am going to be installing a new processor cause my current amd athlong 64 3400 clawhammer is pretty much toast. my little sisters overheated it and its crashing from heat even in firefox. but befor i purchase a amd athlon 64 3700 for my socket 754 board do i need to reinstall windows after i have installed it. i know this is somwut of a noob question but i just want to confirm that i wont need to

Negative.

You do not need to reinstall.

Windoze usually freaks when you upgrade however when you upgrade just the CPU it should be fine because all the other components remain the same.

If you were to upgrade motherboards as well then you would probably need to reinstall - but this is not the case.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
No need to reinstall windows.

One thing to keep in mind tho. If you are changing to a different cpu, make sure you set all of your cpu parameters back to auto in bios (if you had set them manually with old cpu) otherwise it may not post.