[SOLVED] Installing a new SSD and I have lots of questions????

Oz1956

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I'm doing some upgrades on my system, so I figured it was time to get an SSD. Only problem now is where to go from here. I have made a Windows 10 media disc, because I know that all I want on my SSS is the OS and my anti-virus software. I, also, understand that the SSD has to be my /c: drive, I, also, bought a new 1 TB HDD and I still have a 1 TB HDD in my system. I am wondering how do I rename my drive on my old HDD. For example, if I want to change my old HDD to be my D drive, how do I do that? Also, when I do change the drive name will everything on that drive automatically change to that drive letter or will I have to do it manually? When I set up my new HDD, I know I can give it a drive name then, but when I format it will I still have to have a system partition on it, since it will be mostly used for gaming? One more thing, how can I get the Windows OS off of the old HDD. Don't really need it in 2 different places, do I? Sorry, I know that's a lot a one time, but my head is buzzing with questions and I'm sure I will have more when I get into this. I do appreciate your time and patience. Hope you hear from you soon.

Solution
Crucial BX500, 2.5" 240GB
OK...
For a 240GB drive, you want more on it than just the OS and your AV application.
That size will hold a LOT of stuff.

Games, video, music...that what takes up space.
All your other applications? On the SSD!

After you install the OS on your SS, that WILL become the C drive. Any other drives will be given other drive letters automatically. D, E, F, whatever.

You can't use the applications that currently live on your old HDD.
Any application WILL need to be reinstalled. The new OS on the SSD will know nothing about them.

Step 1, your data...

You have a new 1TB HDD that is currently blank, correct?
Connect that, and copy any personal files off to this blank HDD.
You can include Steam games...

USAFRet

Titan
Crucial BX500, 2.5" 240GB
OK...
For a 240GB drive, you want more on it than just the OS and your AV application.
That size will hold a LOT of stuff.

Games, video, music...that what takes up space.
All your other applications? On the SSD!

After you install the OS on your SS, that WILL become the C drive. Any other drives will be given other drive letters automatically. D, E, F, whatever.

You can't use the applications that currently live on your old HDD.
Any application WILL need to be reinstalled. The new OS on the SSD will know nothing about them.

Step 1, your data...

You have a new 1TB HDD that is currently blank, correct?
Connect that, and copy any personal files off to this blank HDD.
You can include Steam games in this. Discover and copy your SteamAps folder to this drive.

Step 2, OS on the SSD...
This will be a clean install on this drive.
Disconnect ALL other drives, boot from your Win 10 USB, and install on the SSD.
Thusly:

This means all your other applications, driers, etc, etc as well.

Once that is up and running, Step 3, clean up.
Verify the boot order so that you know it is booting from the SSD.
Power off and connect your previous OS drive.
Wipe it completely
The commandline function diskpart, and the clean command will do this.

Then, you copy stuff back to this now blank HDD, and move on.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Your Steam games can be accessed like this:
From the new Steam client you install on the SSD, you can refer to a location on the HDD:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Oz1956

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Thank you, USAFRet. I have read everything and you have made this process a lot less complicated. I want to get it right, since I'm doing 2 different systems. God Bless and Thank you for your service.

Oz1956

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Sorry, I'm back. I do have one more question. You showed how to move items in my Steam Client, so I was wondering if this works on my other game clients? Do the game clients go on the C drive and then games on another drive. You see, I have a few games on Steam, but I, also, play WoW, which has a game client and I have my other games on the Origin game client. Just wondering what goes on the C drive and what I can place on the HDDs. Thank you for your time.

Latest posts