[SOLVED] Installing a new SSD, what about info on two HDDs?

NearWire

Honorable
May 25, 2014
So I want to buy a SSD of probably 1-2TB to be my OS booter.

Currently I have two harddrives, one is 1TB and the other is 2TB.

Both are nearly full with info.

My questions are, when I install my ssd, how do I keep the info on both my harddrives (so that I can still access it) while also making my SSD my new OS booter? I don't want to do a fresh reinstall because of the personally large amount of info mostly of pictures, video, some programs, etc. I heard about cloning, but I'm not sure if that'd be what I need to do with two harddrives?

Thank you.

Solution
You can clone your current boot drive to the SSD, Acronis for example has a free OEM version for owners of WD/Sandisk HD's or SSD - and the full version is free for 30-day trial anyway. Other mfrs like PNY, Sabrent, Samsung all have similar software.

Just clone the boot HDD to the SSD, swap it out and remove both HDDs and boot. Then add the 2nd HDD later and make sure the right drive letter is assigned and you should be good.

My questions are, when I install my ssd, how do I keep the info on both my harddrives (so that I can still access it) while also making my SSD my...

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
I do know you just need to open one with an OS, then using device manager, open the new drive. Then it being a blank volume, reboot and do the usual thing when installing a new OS. In this one i can still access the files on my Windows 7 even if i'm running 10.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
I do know you just need to open one with an OS, then using device manager, open the new drive. Then it being a blank volume, reboot and do the usual thing when installing a new OS. In this one i can still access the files on my Windows 7 even if i'm running 10.
Though, i'm kind of a newbie on this but it did work on my end.

If you unplug both your HDD and only leave the SSD plugged and install a new OS to it after that when you replug your HDD you will have access to all the files they have.

The only thing that won't work are your programs because of pathing and registry problems not present anymore since you will be using a new OS.

If you reinstall the programs on your OS SSD you can delete them from your HDD and save the space. You can use windows cleanup to remove old windows installation you don't want anymore.

Reactions: saulsilver82

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
If you unplug both your HDD and only leave the SSD plugged and install a new OS to it after that when you replug your HDD you will have access to all the files they have.

The only thing that won't work are your programs because of pathing and registry problems not present anymore since you will be using a new OS.

If you reinstall the programs on your OS SSD you can delete them from your HDD and save the space. You can use windows cleanup to remove old windows installation you don't want anymore.
Yes, that's what i forgot. The files are OK but the programs aren't.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Unless you've forgotten to document all your serial numbers/license keys/username/passwords...;)

I almost lost a $1,000 CAD package during a reinstall.
"It seems you used a different email address when you registered."
A few minutes of panic until I got it right.
It would be a sad sad day if that happens to anyone. A very sad sad day.

You can clone your current boot drive to the SSD, Acronis for example has a free OEM version for owners of WD/Sandisk HD's or SSD - and the full version is free for 30-day trial anyway. Other mfrs like PNY, Sabrent, Samsung all have similar software.

Just clone the boot HDD to the SSD, swap it out and remove both HDDs and boot. Then add the 2nd HDD later and make sure the right drive letter is assigned and you should be good.

My questions are, when I install my ssd, how do I keep the info on both my harddrives (so that I can still access it) while also making my SSD my new OS booter? I don't want to do a fresh reinstall because of the personally large amount of info mostly of pictures, video, some programs, etc. I heard about cloning, but I'm not sure if that'd be what I need to do with two harddrives?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution

NearWire

Honorable
May 25, 2014
You can clone your current boot drive to the SSD, Acronis for example has a free OEM version for owners of WD/Sandisk HD's or SSD - an the full version is free for 30-day trial anyway. Other mfrs like PNY, Sabrent, Samsung all have similar software.

Thank you. To clarify, I should install the SSD with the already installed two HDDs. Then I should clone the boot HDD ssd to my SSD. What do you mean by swap it out, do you mean just take out the two HDDs and then boot?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. To clarify, I should install the SSD with the already installed two HDDs. Then I should clone the boot HDD ssd to my SSD. What do you mean by swap it out, do you mean just take out the two HDDs and then boot?
Cloning...

What size is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive or partition?

Do not go down this road until you've answered these two questions.

yes clone the boot HDD to the SSD - then take out both HDD's and reboot.
  1. it verifies the clone worked
  2. adding the 2nd HDD later lessens chances of referencing the wrong drive while you test.

USAFRet

Titan
The new SSD is likely going to be either 1TB or 2 TB. 895GB is being used of 930GB on my 1TB C drive. Does this work?
To clone into a 1TB target drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 800GB.

Once you get to the desired point, this:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: Nemesia

NearWire

Honorable
May 25, 2014
To clone into a 1TB target drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 800GB.

Once you get to the desired point, this:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Thank you a whole lot, USAFRet. Also, thanks to everyone who has replied to the thread.