[SOLVED] Installing a new SSD

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Basically, I want to get either an m.2 NVMe drive or a SATA SSD. That is not the point of this thread, so don't focus on that. The main focus is noise.

So, I recently found out that my PC is not noisy because of my GPU, my CPU cooler, my PSU nor my case fan - it is because of my 7200RPM Toshiba hard disk.
Can I install a new SSD, get my Windows and all my programs on it and keep my big rarely used files on the HDD, but without it spinning like crazy when it is not in use? I don't want to unhook it so I don't have to listen to it spinning and turn off my PC and hook it back again whenever I need to use it (the HDD).

Basically, will my HDD spin and produce noise when I am not using it, if I decide to switch everything onto the SSD (the programs and the OS)? Cheers.

P. S. I am not interested in rubber feet or whatever that will "REDUCE" the amount of noise the HDD is creating. I want to eliminate it.

Basically, I want to get either an m.2 NVMe drive or a SATA SSD. That is not the point of this thread, so don't focus on that. The main focus is noise.

So, I recently found out that my PC is not noisy because of my GPU, my CPU cooler, my PSU nor my case fan - it is because of my 7200RPM Toshiba hard disk.
Can I install a new SSD, get my Windows and all my programs on it and keep my big rarely used files on the HDD, but without it spinning like crazy when it is not in use? I don't want to unhook it so I don't have to listen to it spinning and turn off my PC and hook it back again whenever I need to use it (the HDD).

Basically, will my HDD spin and produce noise when I am not using it, if I decide to switch everything onto the SSD (the programs and the OS)? Cheers.

P. S. I am not interested in rubber feet or whatever that will "REDUCE" the amount of noise the HDD is creating. I want to eliminate it.
The HDD will always spin, you won’t get the reading noises when not in use though. You could get a better drive and get rubber feet to eliminate it, or you could get a case designed to be silent.

Reactions: ZuRriX