[SOLVED] Installing a new SSD

xaka12

Reputable
May 14, 2016
I'm stupid when it comes to computers.

So, I currently have a 128GB SSD and a normal HDD and I decided to upgrade to a bigger SSD. What I want is to install my new SSD and have a fresh start. My question is, do i just remove the old SSD from my pc and put the new one and install windows in it with a USB stick or is there any stuff i need to do?

Thankyou

Solution

So, I currently have a 128GB SSD and a normal HDD and I decided to upgrade to a bigger SSD. What I want is to install my new SSD and have a fresh start. My question is, do i just remove the old SSD from my pc and put the new one and install windows in it with a USB stick or is there any stuff i need to do?

Thankyou
I'd plug it in first, initialise it with windows disk management. That way at least you know it works, it will be formatted partitioned etc when you install the os so no need to bother doing any of that first.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016

Thankyou
I'd plug it in first, initialise it with windows disk management. That way at least you know it works, it will be formatted partitioned etc when you install the os so no need to bother doing any of that first.

Solution

Thankyou
Only one step in between, make sure that SATA is set to AHCI mode. If it's set to IDE mode it's difficult to change later.