Dec 2, 2020
Hi everyone.
So, I am new to custom build PCs. During the last summer holidays, I assembled a computer and installed a single 8GB RAM. But, that wasn't enough as it goes up to 60%. So, I bought another 8GB RAM.
I tried to install it almost 20 times (inserting and taking it out) and at last, I got annoyed with it and applied some pressure on it. After all that, it finally showed up in the bios.
So, my actual questions are:
  1. IS IT OK TO PUT PRESSURE ON IT? (like, will it damage the mobo and RAM?)
  2. I tried to take out and insert the ram many times, BY DOING IT, WILL IT DAMAGE THE CONTACT AREA OF RAM AND MOBO?
  3. WILL IT AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE? ( or RAM size) (Sorry for asking a dumb question. I don't know anything about electronics)
Mobo: Asus Prime B450 Plus
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM: (initially: 8 GB), 2*8GB
Storage: Crucial P2 250GB M.2 SSD and Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING ME!!!

Solution
1....you need to put enough pressure on it so it clicks in...in general you don't need to put crazy pressure on it....but I have UNFORTUNATELY come across situations where you do....and these situations suck.

2. ....I think eventually it will cause a problem...but I think it would take quite a few times...probably more than 20

3.).....in general....and sort of contact problem with ram...it will just not function...it's not like it's going to run slow because you have a contact problem
1....you need to put enough pressure on it so it clicks in...in general you don't need to put crazy pressure on it....but I have UNFORTUNATELY come across situations where you do....and these situations suck.

2. ....I think eventually it will cause a problem...but I think it would take quite a few times...probably more than 20

3.).....in general....and sort of contact problem with ram...it will just not function...it's not like it's going to run slow because you have a contact problem

Reactions: ub_162004
Solution
Dec 2, 2020

Thanks a lot jay32267
The RAM shows up in BIOS and Task Manager. So, that's a good sign right?

Djsi

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I wouldn't worry about it now that it works.I have seen the pressure applied from a cpu fan causing ram to not work,so yes the pressures involved does effect things and its because traces in the motherboard are fragile and sometimes can be weak depending on the quality of the board.

Reactions: ub_162004
Dec 2, 2020
I wouldn't worry about it now that it works.I have seen the pressure applied from a cpu fan causing ram to not work,so yes the pressures involved does effect things and its because traces in the motherboard are fragile and sometimes can be weak depending on the quality of the board.
Thanks A Lot Djsi and jay32267 for the response! It freed my mind a lot!

Yes, it takes more pressure than you might think.
The key is to get the parts lined up properly.
I think you are ok with no long term impact.

You are fortunate that all the ram seems to be working properly with two individual sticks.
Ram must be factory matched.

Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.