Installing a switcher in my Robotron

I have a project Robotron, and want to install a switching power supply
in it, since I don't have the Williams power supply board. The thing I'm
wondering is, whats the best place to get the 115V A/C from? if I take
it from the transformer where the monitor wiring is connected, are there
any problems with that?

Arcade Shop in GA sells a kit with PS for $39.
http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Power

--
Daniel
The Vintage Geek

"Diamond Dave" <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I have a project Robotron, and want to install a switching power supply
> in it, since I don't have the Williams power supply board. The thing I'm
> wondering is, whats the best place to get the 115V A/C from? if I take
> it from the transformer where the monitor wiring is connected, are there
> any problems with that?

Diamond Dave <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote:
: I have a project Robotron, and want to install a switching power supply
: in it, since I don't have the Williams power supply board. The thing I'm
: wondering is, whats the best place to get the 115V A/C from? if I take
: it from the transformer where the monitor wiring is connected, are there
: any problems with that?

Take it from right after the line filter... or the input to the transformer.

You DON'T want to take it from the isolated output.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Ok, Thanks Mark!!
When I got the cabinet it had a switcher hooked to the monitor power
leads (which were the original Williams wires) I was thinking about
hooking it to the output of the filter, just wanted to see what anyone
else had to suggest.
Thanks Again!!

Why don't you want to take it from the isolated output?

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> Diamond Dave <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> : I have a project Robotron, and want to install a switching power supply
> : in it, since I don't have the Williams power supply board. The thing I'm
> : wondering is, whats the best place to get the 115V A/C from? if I take
> : it from the transformer where the monitor wiring is connected, are there
> : any problems with that?
>
> Take it from right after the line filter... or the input to the
transformer.

> You DON'T want to take it from the isolated output.
>

> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

I've never put a switcher in a Williams game before, thats why I'm
asking, what's the best location to feed the switcher from? I want it to
be controlled by the mian power switch, and the interlock switches.

Tom

Diamond Dave <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote in news:LKKdnW3hvI1y9drfRVn-
oA@rogers.com:

> I've never put a switcher in a Williams game before, thats why I'm
> asking, what's the best location to feed the switcher from? I want it to
> be controlled by the mian power switch, and the interlock switches.

I would pull 120v for the switcher from the light fixture leads.

-Tom

I've installed several switchers into Williams games and have always taken
the power from the isolated AC line that feeds the monitor. Bob Roberts
himself sells a kit specifically designed to do that. That's why I was
curious why Mark would post not to do that. I've not had any problems doing
it and the games have always worked with the on/off switch and interlocks.

Brian

"Diamond Dave" <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I've never put a switcher in a Williams game before, thats why I'm
> asking, what's the best location to feed the switcher from? I want it to
> be controlled by the mian power switch, and the interlock switches.

Just to clarify, there are multiple places to take power for the switcher.
That much I know. I was just curious why it's bad to take it from the
monitors AC line.

Brian

"Brian Adkins" <wizardscastle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've installed several switchers into Williams games and have always taken
> the power from the isolated AC line that feeds the monitor. Bob Roberts
> himself sells a kit specifically designed to do that. That's why I was
> curious why Mark would post not to do that. I've not had any problems
doing
> it and the games have always worked with the on/off switch and interlocks.
>
> Brian
>

> "Diamond Dave" <grabrr@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > I've never put a switcher in a Williams game before, thats why I'm
> > asking, what's the best location to feed the switcher from? I want it to
> > be controlled by the mian power switch, and the interlock switches.

Brian Adkins <wizardscastle@comcast.net> wrote:
: Why don't you want to take it from the isolated output?

Transformer's only rated for an amp or so for the monitor.

Also the swicher will inject nose back onto the power for the monitor,
and you may see artifacts from that.