Installing AIO cooler - should backplate allow some play?

After a hiatus of several years, I find myself rebuilding a PC. Prior to the hiatus, my last few build were with the higher-end Intel processors (LGA 2011/LGA 2066 sockets) where the standoffs for the coolers screwed directly into the motherboard.

My recollection of the backplate for the LGA 115x was that is was usually stuck on the back of the motherboard with two bits of double-sided tape and then the screws of the mounting bracket held everything really tight.

I'm now looking through the steps to install an NZXT Kraken X42, and the backplate doesn't have any tape - in addition, if I screw the standoffs through the motherboard into the backplate, there is like a millimeter or so looseness or play in the assembly after the end of the standoff meets the pin holes. I checked that I'm using the correct set of standoffs and not the set for the LGA 2066 mounting or for the AMD install.

To clarify, the screws bottom out on plastic pins of the backplate, which protrude very slightly through the motherboard., before putting any pressure on the motherboard or tightening the backplate against the motherboard to where there is zero movement. This might be correct, since I guess the backplate should ultimately absorb all pressure/force from the cooler mount, without transferring any of that on to the more fragile motherboard?

I'm assuming that mounting the pump with the retention ring and then tightening this might be good enough, but I'd hate to make a mistake and then have to clean off thermal paste and go through that rigmarole.

I considered adding some double-sided tape to the backplate/back of the motherboard, to increase spacing, but that might also be unwise?

Solution
There will be some play. I have the X62 and there was definitely a little bit of play. Just make sure that you're using the correct standoffs and you'll be golden.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
There will be some play. I have the X62 and there was definitely a little bit of play. Just make sure that you're using the correct standoffs and you'll be golden.

Solution