Question Installing AMD drivers breaks Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ebowla

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Hi,

Ive ran into trouble with my new build.

I initially had it working perfectly with an unactivated windows 10 'home' installation but bought a key for 'pro' and had to reinstall windows from that.

Now I go about clearing my old hard drives and leave the computer to do it's thing

When I get back the PC was showing the 'trouble booting' blue screen - I continue and realised my AMD drivers are no longer installed.

When I installed the GPU drivers from AMD it crashes and breaks windows. Ive tried doing fresh installs a few times with similar results and now can't even do an install.

Any ideas?

Build:
Ryzen 5 3600
AMD RX 5600 XT
16gb RAM
500W PSU
Multiple hard drives.

Ebowla

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Final Outcome: Probably a dead GPU

I bought a new RX 5600 XT from a different manufacturer - Everything works perfectly and immediately!

The people from XFX got me to try updating the GPU BIOS also before this without success.

Sending the first GPU back first thing tomorrow (XFX brand) looking to claim warranty.

Also, it turns out my PSU was a 600Watt (not 500W like i said) so it's less likely that that is what hurt the GPU. (I bought a new 650W power supply anyway)

Thanks for all your help everyone!!