Installing an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III on R9 290

dlee098

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was anybody who could help me by giving me some instructions on how to install the Xtreme III aftermarket cooler on an R9 290. I've searched all over and have read over the guide they give here on Tom's, but it's still somewhat vague. Particularly, where do I need to put the insulating strips?

Also, I bought mine used, so it only has one insulating strip left, and the thermal pad placed on the cross shaped plate has several indents in it from the previous user. Is that going to be ok, or should I buy a new thermal pad?

It's going to be my first time modding and I'm hoping not to end up with a $400 brick. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
When you take off the fan cooler that came with the card you will be able to see where the pads and thermal compound has been placed. Depending on how the cooler comes off the pads may stay in place and you might have to only replace the thermal compound on the GPU which you should be doing anyway.
The thermal pads are reusable if they are in good shape and are not torn or have holes in them.
When you take off the fan cooler that came with the card you will be able to see where the pads and thermal compound has been placed. Depending on how the cooler comes off the pads may stay in place and you might have to only replace the thermal compound on the GPU which you should be doing anyway.
The thermal pads are reusable if they are in good shape and are not torn or have holes in them.

Solution

dlee098

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks, I was a little confused at first but I get it now. I'll try that out and hopefully that's all I'll need.