Installing an O/S in a new build

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I am building my first computer. When I buy an O/S, what should I be looking for? I've heard that if I buy an O/S that has OEM in it's title that I won't be able to upgrade my MO/BO in the future without buying another O/S. Also, I heard that Microsoft won't support Windows 7 in a few years. I want an O/S that I can depend on it being viable for the future. Thanks!

Randy Hays

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Go with windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416778

7 is still a very good os but yes it is getting outdated.

And windows 10 is coming out in a few months or so. Microsoft said you can upgrade from 8 to 10 for free.

But any of the two 7 or 8.1 are good for gaming. :)

For custom-build PC, you have two (main) options: Windows and Linux.

What applications you will run? This will determine your OS' choice. Current version of Windows is 8.1, and there are several flavours of it, with prices ranging from $100ish to $300ish (if we don't count server versions). Linux is free, but if you are a gamer, that's probably not your best choice.

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
The 8.1 O/S listed for NEWEGG still has OEM in the title. I want an O/S that will allow me to upgrade my mo/bo without buying a new O/S in the future.