Installing an OS from a proprietary CD??

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
I've got an IBM recovery CD with Win 98 on it. Is it possible to install this OS on a new pc (not IBM) with a clean HD?

thanks!

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

I would doubt it. Most of these recovery dieks include the drivers for the hardware that the OEM system had.

Your new system probably has completely different hardware?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

Unless there's a specific intentifier on the CDROM which would keep it from installing on a non-IBM computer, you should be able to use the restore CD in a different system. Now, it's not going to load drivers for most (if any) of the hardware in/connected to your system, so you may need to get drivers beforehand, including any chipset and onboard A/V you might have.

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Yeah I assumed I would need all new drivers, but shouldn't that be no problem, don't they come with the component? Or they'd be available to download from the maker's website, I would think?

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
man, i tried to reinstall the os on my dads hp, and it wanted to format.
my friend tried to install windows 98 on a compaq, it originally had windows me, so he formatted, and then installed 98se. but the computer was having problems or something, so he decided to use the recovery cd, and guess what, the cd didnt work on the compaq that it came with...
it said there was no disc image or something..
such bs.
i usually only would use the recovery cd for emergencies.
i would suggest trying to find a friend who has win98se, either upgrade or full install (if it is upgrade, then find a copy of 98) and then install that. you should be better off, since ibm uses their proprietary stuff...
dunno tho.
you probably have already tried it, and it might have worked...but my experience with proprietary cds is that they need some sort of hardware recognition for them to work.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-