Installing another SSD, maybe dead.

industrialfish.if

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I got a 1TB 850 EVO and figured I could use power supply cables from my brother as I had lost mine. It did not boot and I figured out that different power supply's have different cables many times. So i ordered a cable for my model. I attempted to install with the new cables and the system booted but I cannot find the drive anywhere and disk manager or as an unknown device or anything. I tried two different sata ports as well. If you have any ideas please let me know.

USAFRet

Titan

You used modular cables, from a different PSU?
And now the system does not work? Or at least, you can't find the new SSD?

Disconnect the new SSD.
Return the system to original config.
Does it boot up and work?

industrialfish.if

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
The system has worked fine all the time (only did not boot when the SSD was installed using the incorrect SATA Power cable) after that I took it out and the system worked fine. Now, with the correct SATA power cables, the system boots and works fine, but the SSD is no where to be found.

USAFRet

Titan

Not in the BIOS or Device Manager?
Not "Unallocated" in Disk Management?

if it a newer mb make sure the sata ports your using are not turned off. some mb if some of the settings for m2 or other sata drives are on you lose some of the sata ports. download the ssd tool for the drive see if sequre erase or firmware updates in the software sees the drive if not it may have been killed.

industrialfish.if

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

Could you explain this more? the motherboard is a Z97-a, i'm not sure if that is considered newer or not. also, how would i go about turning the ports on? and do you mean I should download the ssd tool and test it after turning the ports on/confirming they are on?