[SOLVED] Installing another version o windows 10

sakaxxx

Honorable
Mar 30, 2014
Hello, I ran into BOOTMGR is missing and it was suggested that I reinstall windows again, I upgraded from windows 8 to 10 so I do not have a cd or usb but I have a laptop with a seperate verison of windows 10. I used the "Create Windows 10 installation media" and transfered it to a USB and my question is will I have to enter a key or something if I use this install of window 10 from my laptop and install it to my desktop?

Solution
Try repairing windows with the created boot device instead of reinstalling windows completely.

If it still won´t boot correctly:
If by version you mean home or professional, then it will not work reinstalling windows with your created boot device.

Use the Microsoft media creation tool with your laptop and chose the correct version you had on your other system.
Boot and reinstall windows with it, usually windows 10 won´t need a key, only the online activation. This will happen automatically while you are connected to the internet.
Try repairing windows with the created boot device instead of reinstalling windows completely.

If it still won´t boot correctly:
If by version you mean home or professional, then it will not work reinstalling windows with your created boot device.

Use the Microsoft media creation tool with your laptop and chose the correct version you had on your other system.
Boot and reinstall windows with it, usually windows 10 won´t need a key, only the online activation. This will happen automatically while you are connected to the internet.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished. You can always reinstall win 10 oin a PC its been on before. NO key needed. Windows will contact activation servers once its completed and confirm your PC had a licence already. Much simpler.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ if you have any questions.

Making an installer doesn't move the licence of the PC you make it on. :)