Installing Athlon XP-M - vcore settings

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
I've just bought an Athlon XP-M 2600 and I'm planning to buy a decent mobo for it. I want to test it in my current board, though, but it doesn't have any configurable settings for voltages on the board or in the BIOS - it automatically determines the CPU's voltage. I'm not confident about this though, being a cheapo board I don't know if it will change the vcore setting. I don't want to put the Athlon M in only to find it's running at the 1.67v of my Sempron. Is this a rational fear or will the motherboard run the CPU at 1.45v on it's standard multiplier and FSB settings?

Thanks

endyen

Splendid
The board will probably run the xp-m at 1.67v. That dose not make it a rational fear though. My NF7-S board would allow voltages from 1.4 to 2.4, so I generally ran it at 1.725v, and clocked it to 2.4ghz.
The extra voltage and speed didn't cause any problems. It's a couple of years old now, and still running fine.

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Hmm, if it ran on it's stock speed (1.8333GHz?) at 1.67 will it be safe, or do I need to run it at a higher speed for it to be stable at that voltage?
I'm going to order an Abit AN7 anyway. It should do that job nicely

What exactly is the stock speed for this thing anyway? I've found the speeds and settings for mobiles up to 1800+ but not much for faster ones. I haven't got a clue on what the FSB and multiplier values are to run this at it's designed speed - or whatever it's designed speed is lol

Edit: Is 2Ghz with 166.66/333.33 FSB with a 12 multi correct?
Also, the Sempron is running at 1.57 not 1.67, and the other vcore is 2.43v if that's important

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
It's a Jetway V2MDMP mobo I have, which apparently automatically configures the vcore to suit Bartons, Athlons, AthlonXPs, and Semprons, but mobile chips aren't listed on the Jetway support page. I've emailed them already and waiting for a reply, but is it likely that the BIOS will think the CPU is a standard Athlon XP 2600+ and configure the vcore to match that?

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
The vcore is not going to be a problem. The regular desktops Bartons are spec'd to run at 1.65v anyway. The mobile just use less to maintain battery life and reduce heat for the lapptop.

Your problem, depending on what you mean by "testing" it, is that it will likely boot to default speed of 600mhz. A multi of 6 @ 100mhz FSB speed. Desktop mobo's tend to do this with mobile CPU's unless using a new/modded BIOS that auto recognizes the mobile chip.

Hmm, if it ran on it's stock speed (1.8333GHz?) at 1.67 will it be safe, or do I need to run it at a higher speed for it to be stable at that voltage?
That's not how it works. Too little vcore makes it unstable. Too much just generates excess heat.

Here's a CPU chart, including the mobiles, showing the FSB and multi <A HREF="http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#xpm" target="_new">http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#xpm</A>

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 08/10/05 05:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Ah, thanks

It's the axmg2600fqq4c one I have.

There's jumpers on the mobo for FSB and multiplier. The only options in the BIOS are the RAM's latencies and voltages, and FSB incremental overlocking - no settings for FSB or multiplier is in there. So if I set the jumpers correctly, it wouldn't default to 6*100, yeah?

The other problem is that the multiplier only goes up to 12.5, not the 15*133 listed on that site so I wouldn't be able to get the native speed on 133/266. Is it safe to use 166/333 * 12 to get the 2GHz?

I need to test it before I buy a new mobo - don't want to upgrade only to find I have a dud, but the seller on eBay has a perfect reputation with over 400 auctions<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shrub on 08/10/05 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
The xp-m chips are well known as great OCers. They have been subjected to fsbs much higher than 200/400, and have been run as fast as 3ghz.
I think it's pretty safe to run one at 2ghz, with a 166/333 fsb.

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
I've got it on 133*12.5 at the moment. It's going up to 48°c on 166*12 with it set at 1.55v, maybe higher if I left the tests on longer. I probably need a thicker layer of Arctic Silver, or a new heatsink - I scratched this one as it had a bit of epoxy stuck to it (I didn't think a 90/10 ratio would stick so firmly!).

Thanks all of you for the help.

endyen

Splendid
48c really is nothing to wory about for an xp-m chip. They can handle heat better than a regular xp chip, and the xp 2800 was always a little warm.
Too much AS is as bad as not enough, probably worse.
The scratch on the hsf can be removed, by placing the unit on a piece of sandpaper, and using a circular motion, with only light pressure. This is called lapping, and is a great idea any time you use a hs without the stock TIM.

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
It's about 5 degrees cooler now that the AS has cured. I've just ordered a new heatsink anyway - I may as well seeing that the old one can be used again for the Sempron when I get the new mobo. All I'd need then is a stick of RAM.