Installing Blue Ray Player in Gateway FX6801-01

G

Hello,
I would like to install a Blue Ray player in my Gateway FX6801-01 desktop. When I open the case, I can't see how the additional drive installs. Gateway advertises tool-less upgrades. There seems to be a drive bay there but you would have to knock out a perferated metal plate to access it. Any help would be appreciated.

G

Before ordering the drive check that you have SATA connection in your machine.

Carefully read the instructions for software/driver installation supplied with your new drive. They may vary from my suggestions below:

If necessary remove the front fascia of the computer or drive bay (don't rip wires to any switches and LEDs on the fascia).

Remove the metal plate you mention, taking care not slice your hand open.

Mounting the new drive should just be a matter of hooking up the connections (and doing up the screws supplied with the drive usually -- but maybe different on a tool-less case).

Check that drive is recognised in the BIOS and install any drivers supplied.

With windows 7, or vista should not need any drivers. BUT you will need a blu-ray player. This may, or may not be included with the drive. 3rd party players can run 80 -> 100 bucks - There are no free ones. Also both your graphic card AND your monitor must be HDCP enabled to play blu-ray. Most new ones are but you can download a compatability check program to verify.
Download the BD Advisor (Beta)
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

I see the user manual is of little help. It mentions adding a 2nd HDD, so that implies that you have a spare sata port. Are you buying a Blue-ray player (only) or a blu-ray player/DVD writer. If it is a player/DVD writer you could simply remove the current DVD drive and replace it.

As to installing a 2nd drive, yes you need to remove the covering over the bay. Depending on the drive, it may, or MAY NOT, have a sata data cable - if not you will need to purchase.

Remove the side panels, both sides. Look at how the present drive is mounted in the bay. Look for the sata ports on the mother board (Can trace HDD or DVD drive cable to find. Verify that you have a spare power connector from the power supply (PSU). Then instal and enjoy.