Installing both windows 7 and windows XP to two seperate Hard Drives

Vavs15

Reputable
May 19, 2014
I'm currently running windows XP on one hard drive, but would like to install windows 7 on another hard drive that i've got, and don't use.

Can both windows xp and windows 7 run on their own hard drive without negatively impacting each other?

Alternatively can I simply "Upgrade" my XP using a windows 7 installation disk (I have the 32 bit version of XP)

If I can't simply "upgrade" will I presented with a boot menu on start-up, even though the OS's are installed to separate HDD's?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes you can have windows 7 on one drive and XP on another, they wont hurt each other because only one will be ran at any given time.

You can go into msconfig to edit your boot menu or even easier just install EasyBCD and edit it there.

FYI: If you were doing this from scratch, best to load older OS (windows xp) first and newer one second, that way the newer one overwrites the MBR with the newer version.
Yes you can have windows 7 on one drive and XP on another, they wont hurt each other because only one will be ran at any given time.

You can go into msconfig to edit your boot menu or even easier just install EasyBCD and edit it there.

FYI: If you were doing this from scratch, best to load older OS (windows xp) first and newer one second, that way the newer one overwrites the MBR with the newer version.

Solution

Vavs15

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Thank you very much

TRENDING THREADS