Installing Catalyst 4.4 to Dual-Monitor System Results In ..

I unistalled Catalyst drivers from my system completely, rebooted, then
attempted to install 4.4. After completing install and rebooting, my main
monitor goes black, and only the second monitor shows the Windows 2000
desktop. It's impossible to login to Windows because nothing is visible in
the main desktop window.

I then tried to boot in Safe Mode with VGA. This took nearly 20 minutes to
boot correctly (on a 2.4 GHz machine with screaming fast drives). That
did me no good, as I was not able to access any video settings for the newly
installed Catalyst while in "safe" mode.

I rebooted again and now the main desktop shows up. I select Advanced
properties tab, then Displays, select Monitor, and configure for a single
monitor system, trying to simplify my configuration before moving back to
two monitors. Now the second monitor disappears and the first monitor
enters some bizarre mode where at boot up a blue signin background appears
but there is no signin dialog for Windows 2000, and when I hit ctrl-alt-del,
no sign dialog appears.

I reboot again, and this time I select "VGA mode". That gave me access to
my Windows login, and I logged in and configured the desktop to 1024x768 and
then I...yes...rebooted.

After rebooting and logging in, I am finally able to configure monitor 1 for
the correct resolution. I confirm that monitor 2's settings are correct
as well. I reboot. Finally everything comes up as before.

ATI: since you don't seem to be able to handle the complexities of how
people set up two monitor systems, can I suggest a simple alternative?
When we run the uninstaller, reset video settings to defaults, so that upon
the next install of your software you don't pickup old settings in incorrect
ways. At very least, offer this reset as an option to someone running
your uninstaller. The above sequence was insanely complex, and I don't
believe that most users would survive this and recover.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
message news:auqdnY7Rrevy8RHdRVn-gw@giganews.com
> I unistalled Catalyst drivers from my system completely, rebooted,
> then attempted to install 4.4. After completing install and
> rebooting, my main monitor goes black, and only the second monitor
> shows the Windows 2000 desktop. It's impossible to login to Windows
> because nothing is visible in the main desktop window.
>
> I then tried to boot in Safe Mode with VGA. This took nearly 20
> minutes to boot correctly (on a 2.4 GHz machine with screaming fast
> drives). That did me no good, as I was not able to access any
> video settings for the newly installed Catalyst while in "safe" mode.
>
> I rebooted again and now the main desktop shows up. I select
> Advanced properties tab, then Displays, select Monitor, and configure
> for a single monitor system, trying to simplify my configuration
> before moving back to two monitors. Now the second monitor
> disappears and the first monitor enters some bizarre mode where at
> boot up a blue signin background appears but there is no signin
> dialog for Windows 2000, and when I hit ctrl-alt-del, no sign dialog
> appears.
>
> I reboot again, and this time I select "VGA mode". That gave me
> access to my Windows login, and I logged in and configured the
> desktop to 1024x768 and then I...yes...rebooted.
>
> After rebooting and logging in, I am finally able to configure
> monitor 1 for the correct resolution. I confirm that monitor 2's
> settings are correct as well. I reboot. Finally everything
> comes up as before.
>
> ATI: since you don't seem to be able to handle the complexities of
> how people set up two monitor systems, can I suggest a simple
> alternative?
> When we run the uninstaller, reset video settings to defaults, so
> that upon the next install of your software you don't pickup old
> settings in incorrect ways. At very least, offer this reset as an
> option to someone running your uninstaller. The above sequence
> was insanely complex, and I don't believe that most users would
> survive this and recover.

I suggest you resubmit this here:

http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/index.asp

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).
ng@bgdsv.co.uk

Try it when using two separate ATI video cards if you think you had it bad
:)