Question Installing coot on ubuntu 22.04

Oct 22, 2022
Hi,
I have issues installing crystallographic program coot on my Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.
I donwloaded coot-0.9.8.5-binary-Linux-x86_64-scientific-linux-7.6-python-gtk2.tar.gz binary from the official page (https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pemsley/coot/), then un-tared it and created symlink to /usr/local/bin according to wiki (https://strucbio.biologie.uni-konst...ion_from_a_distributed_binary_tarball_package). However if I then run coot the program crashes. I don't know how to fix this as the instructions on wiki are for different linux distribution.
I'm new to linux. Any help is highly appreciated
Thanks

Sn-mek-obrazovky-z-2022-10-22-21-00-58.png

The first error is that it failed to load "canberra-gtk-module". I know nothing about the particular software, and right now I only have Ubuntu 18.04 to look at packages from, but it might just be from a lack of an optional library install. Normally one would first update the system before adding something new, so:
  1. sudo apt update
  2. sudo apt-get upgrade
  3. apt search canberra-gtk-module
  4. This latter should show "libcanberra-gtk-module", and so you can:
  5. sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module
Once that is in you might find other missing content. Incidentally, one library can require another, and if you install libcanberra-gtk-module using "apt", then it should be able to solve dependencies for just that particular package, but getting further in the loading of the program could reveal needing something else (which could usually be installed in the same way so far as system libraries are concerned, but sometimes a Python library would use a different method of install). Add the library above and try running again.

Oct 22, 2022
Thank you, first problem solved. However coot is still not working - now I have a problem with libpng15.so.15. Any idea how to solve this? sudo apt-get install command does not help
Thanks

Screenshot-from-2022-10-23-09-38-34.png

Oct 26, 2022
My suggestion would be installing libpng16-16. That is what I search for: sudo apt-cache search libpng on Ubuntu 22.04. See if that helps.
Installing libpng15.so.15 will never work. Too much of detailed version info. sudo apt install libpng of libpng15 would have worked if these packages where in the Ubuntu 22.04 repository. But these are not. Try libpng16 or libpng16-16 instead.
But I'm not sure if these are compatible with libpng15. maybe you could then try to use / create a symbolic link.

Last edited: