Installing DDR3 alongside DDR3L RAM in my Lenovo Z50-70

Oct 29, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've had some extra RAM lying around so I decided to pop an extra stick of 4GB DDR3 in my Lenovo Z50-70 which came with 8GB DDR3L. My model supports atleast 16GB of RAM. I know the DDR3L is lower voltage (1.35V) than the DDR3 (1.5V) so I thought perhaps I could change the voltage the mobo provides to 1.5V for both but I didn't have any option to do so in the (very limited Lenovo) BIOS.

I updated my BIOS to the most recent version, tried switching the RAM modules around, etc. but so far no luck.

I ran Memtest with no faulty results. I also used CPU-Z and took some screenshots of the results, posted below. As you can see, the system only recognizes 8GB but CPU-Z does register the full 12GB.
CPU-Z Imgur

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Since this laptop only supports DDR3L, DDR3 will not work, it may show up in the cpu-z but what you see in the Windows properties is the actual DDR3L 8GB stick reflecting as 8GB. The other 4GB DDR3 will be ignored.

DDR3L can operate at 1.35v and 1.5v but DDR3 can operate only at 1.5v.

The laptop will work only at 1.35v so it utilizes the DDR3L memory. If you would like to cross-check, remove the 8GB DDR3L and try to boot only with the DDR3, it won't boot.
Since this laptop only supports DDR3L, DDR3 will not work, it may show up in the cpu-z but what you see in the Windows properties is the actual DDR3L 8GB stick reflecting as 8GB. The other 4GB DDR3 will be ignored.

DDR3L can operate at 1.35v and 1.5v but DDR3 can operate only at 1.5v.

The laptop will work only at 1.35v so it utilizes the DDR3L memory. If you would like to cross-check, remove the 8GB DDR3L and try to boot only with the DDR3, it won't boot.

Solution