Question Installing exact same RAM but system not booting

Feb 26, 2019
So I've decided to boost my PC a bit as I wanted to do streaming and gaming at the same time, So at the moment my memory is running a bit low as I've just got 8 GIG ram (2x4gigs) which has never been a problem just wanted a bit more.

I then purchased another 2x4gigs of the exact same memory, same speed, size, brand and specs. Basically at this point I've got 4 of the exact same sticks, just 2 purchased in 2017 and these two in 2019.

I proceed to install everything and the PC does not want to boot up, I then try and installing the new stick in the old stick slots, still does not want to boot, I try a new stick with an old one and still no boot, I try one new stick alone and still no boot, I try just one old stick on its self and there is no problems with booting the PC up, finally I've come to realization that the new sticks are faulty most likely because they're the only reason my PC no booting.

I call the retailer, I then return the stick back personally and they test the sticks while im there and it seems the sticks they've given works perfectly, but to be safe I get replacements to test out.

I go home and its the exact same thing, the new sticks not working and only my old sticks working in any slot on my MOBO. I tried googling the problem and it seems no one else has had this type of issue, even called the etailer again and they do not know how this happens and suggested I bring my PC in for them to check.

I just wanted to check with everyone on here if anyone ran into this type of situation and if anyone can help. These are the troubleshooting I've already attempted so far :

Removing CMOS battery for Bios to reset.
Enabled XMP through bios.
Hit the switch on my mobo to enter my backup/second Bios.
removed everything else and just tried booting up with one new RAM stick
Trying all 4 sticks at once
Changed some things in bios

PC Specs :

2x4gigs G.skill Ripjaw DDR4 2666mhz RAM (2017 purchase date)
2x4gigs G.skill Ripjaw DDR4 2666mhz RAM (2019 purchase date)
Biostar X370GT3 Ver:6.0
Ryzen 3 x1300
Gigabyte 8Gig GTX 1070
GAMMAXX L240 CPU Cooler
EVGA 600w PSU

If anyone has any suggestions or troubleshooting techniques it would really be appreciated here.

compprob237

Distinguished
So I've decided to boost my PC a bit as I wanted to do streaming and gaming at the same time, So at the moment my memory is running a bit low as I've just got 8 GIG ram (2x4gigs) which has never been a problem just wanted a bit more.

I then purchased another 2x4gigs of the exact same memory, same speed, size, brand and specs. Basically at this point I've got 4 of the exact same sticks, just 2 purchased in 2017 and these two in 2019.

I proceed to install everything and the PC does not want to boot up, I then try and installing the new stick in the old stick slots, still does not want to boot, I try a new stick with an old one and still no boot, I try one new stick alone and still no boot, I try just one old stick on its self and there is no problems with booting the PC up, finally I've come to realization that the new sticks are faulty most likely because they're the only reason my PC no booting.

I call the retailer, I then return the stick back personally and they test the sticks while im there and it seems the sticks they've given works perfectly, but to be safe I get replacements to test out.

I go home and its the exact same thing, the new sticks not working and only my old sticks working in any slot on my MOBO. I tried googling the problem and it seems no one else has had this type of issue, even called the etailer again and they do not know how this happens and suggested I bring my PC in for them to check.

I just wanted to check with everyone on here if anyone ran into this type of situation and if anyone can help. These are the troubleshooting I've already attempted so far :

Removing CMOS battery for Bios to reset.
Enabled XMP through bios.
Hit the switch on my mobo to enter my backup/second Bios.
removed everything else and just tried booting up with one new RAM stick
Trying all 4 sticks at once
Changed some things in bios

PC Specs :

2x4gigs G.skill Ripjaw DDR4 2666mhz RAM (2017 purchase date)
2x4gigs G.skill Ripjaw DDR4 2666mhz RAM (2019 purchase date)
Biostar X370GT3 Ver:6.0
Ryzen 3 x1300
Gigabyte 8Gig GTX 1070
GAMMAXX L240 CPU Cooler
EVGA 600w PSU

If anyone has any suggestions or troubleshooting techniques it would really be appreciated here.
Was the test system they used Intel based? AMD Ryzens, especially the older 1000 series like you have, are very finicky with their RAM. Sometimes they're happy with a kit and sometimes they refuse to work with them.

Does the system boot with the new sticks but with XMP disabled?
You are testing a single stick in the 2nd slot from the CPU, correct?

Feb 26, 2019
Seems to be the case, tried the new Stick in all the slots and nothing happens, I assume when resetting the bios it disables the XMP because that is the default when i first checked bios. so yeah still does not boot in second slot.

I tried booting without XMP and still nothing happens

Reactions: compprob237
Feb 26, 2019
Could be the case, what I'm thinking is, could I just flash bios to a previous version? Because I have the fully updated bios, and thinking to revert the changes might work.

Btw I never really flashed a bios yet, was wondering if I could get some help on that lol

Disconnect power. Press Power button to discharge electricity. Remove battery for 30 seconds.
If that does not work breadboard the system by removing motherboard from the case.
Remove all cards and connections.
Hook up power, beeper and start button. Start the computer and listen for beeps.

Feb 26, 2019
Unfortunately the board is mid range, so it doesnt have that build in beeps, and doesnt have the display on the mobo to show the code either.

I just double checked now it seems my bios was not fully updated, will try and do that then keep you guys updated.

compprob237

Distinguished
holySh*t finally this thing is fixed and yes it was the bios upddate that had to be done wtf, how can a bios update have so much impact on a system D:
Awesome! The BIOS update probably had a profile for the RAM kit. Then there's that ever-so-slight chance that there was something up with your BIOS flash. I've been running across this more often than usual lately.