installing fedora 20 without a cd/dvd or a usb help ? just the ineternet

rickrivers

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
right peoples i have an acer aspire 5338 with windows7 and want to put fedora on it instead, but i have no cds/dvds or a memory stick in which to put the image on to and my computer isnt connected to a network,but i like linux and havn't the foggyiet if theres a way around this problem, googles no help, i appologise if theres another post simular i havn't seen any . would much like help please

Solution
4gb usb stick costs like $5... certainly you can afford!

That said, what you want to do IS possible but not really straightforward and dangerous (could leave your pc not bootable if not done correctly)
Shrink windows partition.
copy linux iso contents to new temporary partition
write syslinux to MBR and install to new partition (maybe unetbootin or linuxliveusb can do this part for you)
boot/install fedora
delete+extend the temporary partition

rickrivers

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
is there a way to install it from my windows environment and install it on to the hard drive from windows and delete windows later using windows as like a manager because it would be be in a hard drive and through windows making a partion is that at possible ?,,, sorry if i'm not being clear

USAFRet

Titan
So...
You want to

1. Boot into Windows
2. Start up a fedora install (how?)
3. Partition the drive that the running Windows is on
4. Install Fedora to that new partition
5. Blow away the existing Windows install

It fails at step 2 and 3.
Go down to the store, buy a 8GB USB stick, boot from that, install

rickrivers

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
hmm dose seem silly i have just partioned the drive that i can do ,750gb staight down well close to the middle ill look into a usb but could be a while,hmm will look into it see if i can

4gb usb stick costs like $5... certainly you can afford!

That said, what you want to do IS possible but not really straightforward and dangerous (could leave your pc not bootable if not done correctly)
Shrink windows partition.
copy linux iso contents to new temporary partition
write syslinux to MBR and install to new partition (maybe unetbootin or linuxliveusb can do this part for you)
boot/install fedora
delete+extend the temporary partition

Solution

rickrivers

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
nope dead broke not a penny to my name hence the question already have a windows seven disc from shop just can't get on with windows ,i'm used to fedora 15 under gnome just wanted to know how it was done, sorry i work in pounds sterling, what complications am I inevitably going to run into?, lost the fedora disc i used to own,find yum/rpm easy to work from and is there downsides doing it that way ? , any info is welcome on the subject