Installing free wireless at a hotel

I am installing a wireless system for a hotel. They wish to provide
free wireless access to their customers who are staying in the rooms.

So my only requirements are reliable wireless. I do not need to worry
about accounting/RADIUS. I also do not need to worry about roaming
since the user will be in their room.

I would however like to install a proxy server so that advertisments
about the hotel's restaurant could POPUP on the user's screen every
half hour or so.

I am looking at Cisco Aeronet 1100s or 3com. But would love to talk
to someone who has installed something similar. Most of my wireless
experience has been with Point-to-Point. Or a single access point in
a small office.

Joshua Erdman
DigitalFoundation.net
Network Consultant/Owner

You should check out the ZoneCD at http://www.publicip.net

This is a Live Linux CD, a remaster of Morphix I think. I have not
toyed with this, but it seems to fit your needs.

In article <c6bplv$ac9j2$1@ID-204939.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Not Me <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>You should check out the ZoneCD at http://www.publicip.net
>
>This is a Live Linux CD, a remaster of Morphix I think. I have not
>toyed with this, but it seems to fit your needs.

Look at www.nycwireless.net.

Public projects I've been involved in use Cisco APs because
the have optional hardware that lets us put the APs out in public
areas secured with padlocks. They also do Power Over Ethernet.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

I am glad that my browser has an anti-popup feature.

MB

On 04/23/04 02:10 pm Joshua Erdman put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

> I am installing a wireless system for a hotel. They wish to provide
> free wireless access to their customers who are staying in the rooms.
>
> So my only requirements are reliable wireless. I do not need to worry
> about accounting/RADIUS. I also do not need to worry about roaming
> since the user will be in their room.
>
> I would however like to install a proxy server so that advertisments
> about the hotel's restaurant could POPUP on the user's screen every
> half hour or so.
>
> I am looking at Cisco Aeronet 1100s or 3com. But would love to talk
> to someone who has installed something similar. Most of my wireless
> experience has been with Point-to-Point. Or a single access point in
> a small office.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

so we gotta do the job you bid for and
won.........bwaahhwwhaaaaa..........so funny

"Joshua Erdman" <josh@digital-foundation.net> wrote in message
> I am installing a wireless system for a hotel. They wish to provide
> free wireless access to their customers who are staying in the rooms.
>
> So my only requirements are reliable wireless. I do not need to worry
> about accounting/RADIUS. I also do not need to worry about roaming
> since the user will be in their room.
>
> I would however like to install a proxy server so that advertisments
> about the hotel's restaurant could POPUP on the user's screen every
> half hour or so.
>
> I am looking at Cisco Aeronet 1100s or 3com. But would love to talk
> to someone who has installed something similar. Most of my wireless
> experience has been with Point-to-Point. Or a single access point in
> a small office.
>
> Joshua Erdman
> DigitalFoundation.net
> Network Consultant/Owner

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

"Don" <mickeymouse@btinternet.com> wrote in news:c6bu3n$sp0$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

> so we gotta do the job you bid for and
> won.........bwaahhwwhaaaaa..........so funny

Yeah, I was thinking a "Network Conslutant" should know how to install a
network.

And before anyone whines, that wasn't a typo, I typed that on purpose.

http://www.jpelectron.com/dnsredir.htm
Not a popup, but does provide a way to replace advertisements on sites with
your own ads (which I suppose could be configured to popup instead of just
display on the page, although this is annoying and most people with popup
blockers wouldn't see it)
The software also allows you to force an initial redirection to a welcome
page (if desired)

"Joshua Erdman" <josh@digital-foundation.net> wrote in message
> I am installing a wireless system for a hotel. They wish to provide
> free wireless access to their customers who are staying in the rooms.
>
> So my only requirements are reliable wireless. I do not need to worry
> about accounting/RADIUS. I also do not need to worry about roaming
> since the user will be in their room.
>
> I would however like to install a proxy server so that advertisments
> about the hotel's restaurant could POPUP on the user's screen every
> half hour or so.
>
> I am looking at Cisco Aeronet 1100s or 3com. But would love to talk
> to someone who has installed something similar. Most of my wireless
> experience has been with Point-to-Point. Or a single access point in
> a small office.
>
> Joshua Erdman
> DigitalFoundation.net
> Network Consultant/Owner

The only way that you could get a popup window to appear at set intervals
would be with a script running on the client computers. How you get this
script to run and stay active would be a problem, unless you have hotel
owned computers in each room.

Another problem is the fact that each user has to configure their computer
to connect. It would be better to use a NAT solution that works
transparently with 90 % of computers that can simply plug in and surf. For
computers that dont automatically work with NAT, you could have a proxy
server running as well.

Ray Taylor

"Joshua Erdman" <josh@digital-foundation.net> wrote in message
> I am installing a wireless system for a hotel. They wish to provide
> free wireless access to their customers who are staying in the rooms.
>
> So my only requirements are reliable wireless. I do not need to worry
> about accounting/RADIUS. I also do not need to worry about roaming
> since the user will be in their room.
>
> I would however like to install a proxy server so that advertisments
> about the hotel's restaurant could POPUP on the user's screen every
> half hour or so.
>
> I am looking at Cisco Aeronet 1100s or 3com. But would love to talk
> to someone who has installed something similar. Most of my wireless
> experience has been with Point-to-Point. Or a single access point in
> a small office.
>
> Joshua Erdman
> DigitalFoundation.net
> Network Consultant/Owner

It sounds like a pop-up window would not be the answer. Setting up
the wireless part and NAT is easy. It is the advertising and
redirecting that I want to get right. My client will not be happy
unless if the users are redirected sufficiently, but at the same time
it needs to be convenient for the users.

I looked at publicip.com but that was a little too complicated for the
users. It required user accounts. We are talkig about people staying
at a hotel.

This looks like an easy setup with low overhead. Thank you.

--joshman
www.networkclue.com

www.stayonline.net

--