[SOLVED] Installing from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

n46krb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello, Having some Mac troubles.

This Mac is not mine, but was purchased used. Since he got it, he reported a 'blank' hard drive. When I saw it for myself, it is starting up and after the 'chime' there i a white screen with a picture of a file folder blinking. No Apple logo on start up.

He doesn't have any install discs. Downloaded and burned Mavericks to a DVD (I did this using a Windows PC) . The file ended in .DMG It wouldn't boot up with the DVD. Did the same thing with a USB drive and it will also not boot. I"ve tried some key combinations but all I can get is the white screen with blinking file folder.

I've heard to go to disk utility but how can I do that if there is nothing on the hard drive? Is there any way I can add that utility to a boot up USB that also contains the OSX? Please help.

Or is this a sign of hard drive failure? I'm not as well versed on Mac repair from a software standpoint, PC or mobile devices is not an issue.

THanks

Solution
Mavericks was indeed offered as a free download, but you need a Mac to download it.
That wouldn't work though so got it from a torrent HONESTLY.
End of discussion. There are no legal torrents of OS X, so that is pirated software and, let's face it, it could contain anything. How can you HONESTLY download software from an unauthorised source?

Anyway Tom's Hardware doesn't allow the discussion of pirated software. Sorry if that sounds snitty but them's the rules.

And, still not wishing to be snitty, you still haven't told us the most basic information - the model and year of the Mac that you are working with.

Your friends best bet is to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an authorised Apple dealer. They will have the facilities...

n46krb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Well, you don't have to be snitty. How else are you going to reinstall it if you don't have the original discs??? Come on.

Apple was offering Mavericks as a free upgrade when it first launched so it's definitely out there. I was talking an Apple rep one time and he, himself, said 'its out there' if you don't have a disc. Anyway, that was regarding a separate issue.

I downloaded from CNET but it looks legit and it is a DMG file. That wouldn't work though so got it from a torrent HONESTLY.

I'm looking for advice to get this mac up and running or if the white screen and blinking file folder is a sign of hard drive failure.

Thx

McHenryB

Admirable
Mavericks was indeed offered as a free download, but you need a Mac to download it.
That wouldn't work though so got it from a torrent HONESTLY.
End of discussion. There are no legal torrents of OS X, so that is pirated software and, let's face it, it could contain anything. How can you HONESTLY download software from an unauthorised source?

Anyway Tom's Hardware doesn't allow the discussion of pirated software. Sorry if that sounds snitty but them's the rules.

And, still not wishing to be snitty, you still haven't told us the most basic information - the model and year of the Mac that you are working with.

Your friends best bet is to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an authorised Apple dealer. They will have the facilities, and the knowledge, to diagnose the fault, tell him if it needs repair, and/or reload the operating system.

Solution

MacTech

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Is snitty even a word?

There's a retail version of Mac OS X. Check with Frys or Apple. Blinking folder means no blessed system can be found or hard drive failure. Get another Mac (let's call this Mac 2) and boot the non-working mac (Mac 1) by holding the "T" key to put it in Firewire mode. Then connect it to Mac 2 via firewire or thunderbolt and see if the drive mounts. You can then poke around and see if there's a problem with the drive or attempt to repair with disk repair or re-install the OS.

I will leave you with this last thought... Guess where most malware comes from? ... You guessed it, unauthorized copies of software.

Thug life. It's everywhere. :-/

McHenryB

Admirable
Does Target Mode work with USB? I thought it was Firewire or Thunderbolt only.

I agree that the first thing the OP needs is another Mac. (Well, the first thing he needs is to find out what model and year of Mac he is dealing with. For all we know he may be trying to revive a PPC Mac using Mavericks!) Hence my suggestion to take it to someone who actually understands Macs and has the required equipment to repair this one.

MacTech

Reputable
May 23, 2014

Again, good catch. I corrected it. I could have sworn I was thinking thunderbolt but typed usb. Not good, Not good.

n46krb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hi
OK, so here's what I did.... I read that on an older iMac, you can't just install Mavericks or Yosemite. You have to install at least Mountain Lion first then obtain the updates from the App Store afterwards if you want.

So because there was no backups made anywhere and no USB or DVD I was using was working correctly. Assuming it was because it was the wrong software... I PURCHASED (LEGALLY - NO DOWNLOADS this time) I purchased Mountain Lion... so they send it as a digital download. Only issue is, of course, the iMac is not working, not booting. So here's what I want to know how to do: How can I download that purchase on this macbook air and make a BOOTABLE USB of Mountain lion? There has to be a way to do it on another system, after all...how else are you supposed to get it up and running with the purchased software?? It sucks they don't just send out physical media anymore... Everywhere, Apple assumes one has access to the Mac App Store. It says "to install your software, launch the mac app store and click redeem". But I can't do that, obviously. So I ordered the media using this macbook air, not signed into any apple ID and got it as a digital download. Need to get it as bootable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.