Question Installing front intake fans

JoshMcD

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
My front PC does not have any fans and can fit 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm, don't think it can fight 140mm three times.

Anyways I am looking to purchase the Arctic P12 PWM PST fan set.
https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/p12-pwm-pst.html

With the fans being able to connect to one another, I am hoping to connect 3 of them together and connecting it to the nearest CHA_Fan on my motherboard.
Each fan can spin up to 1800rpm, would be good enough to bring decent airflow into my system?
Would 3 of these fans be supplied enough watt and voltage through the 4 pin Cha_fan?

JoshMcD

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
I am using a CiT Dark Soul Mid Tower Case, at the front of the case there are 2 different type of openings. One is a filter/mesh type and the other are lots of horizontal openings down the tower front panel that dust can get through. I do plan to have some filters placed in front of the fans as they take in air, as even more dust will pass through with the front intake fans.

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hi Josh, fan wise the fans seem to have a good static pressure and cfm for 1,800 rpms, meaning they should beable to provide a good amount of air, provided the front panel is relatively unrestricted.

However, looking at the case, the major issue that I see is that it appears it has a solid front panel with openings along the side for air flow. This will cut into the air flow that the fans can provide, reducing their performance.

JoshMcD

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hi Josh, fan wise the fans seem to have a good static pressure and cfm for 1,800 rpms, meaning they should beable to provide a good amount of air, provided the front panel is relatively unrestricted.

However, looking at the case, the major issue that I see is that it appears it has a solid front panel with openings along the side for air flow. This will cut into the air flow that the fans can provide, reducing their performance.

The images online really don't show there is a lot of openings, but there are many, because the front panel is created in such a way, that its like a V shape indent all the way around the front panel. Making the front case having like an island sticking out.
And within the V shape indent around the front panel of the case, one side of the V shape is a mesh filter, and the other side is the plastic casing that has vertical slots of around 4mm of hole, 4mm of case, hole, case downwards. So on each side of the front panel case there are around 20-30x 4mm openings.

Also at the bottom of the case there is a wide opening that I can feel. I looked through the see through side panels of my case and can see my finger tips stick through. So there is a like a 10cm x 0.5cm gap at the bottom of the front panel.

JoshMcD

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Additional information. The middle and bottom fan front case installation would not be a problem with air intake I think.
The top would be a bit more difficult as the 4mm holes start just around the where the middle fan would be. Meaning the top intake fan would only have the mesh to intake air. But looking at my case, the top intake fan would be directly in front of power turn on, 2x usb 2.0, 1x usb 3.0 and the 2 headphones jack.
There are some openings that the front panel where the dvd drive would be if it was installed. There are small line opening around that front panel.
So if i were to install a top front in take fan, it would try to pull air from these areas.

Those fans are only 0.08 amps, so you could string a bunch of them together without problems. If its blowing in to a restrictive area, get the static flow optimized like these. If it's not too restrictive, get the flow optimized ones (F12 PWM PST) which are 0.24 amps, so up to 4 total.

JoshMcD

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
F12 PWM PST are the older fans from Arctic. The P12 PWM PST are the much newer release with better static pressure and air flow. I have no CD or hard drive that is blocking intake ventilation but the intake area is a bit restricted so I think the Arctic P12 PWM PST looks like a good option.

TRENDING THREADS