[SOLVED] Installing games on D: rather than C:

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Just built a new gaming PC and have 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 drives installed.

Is it good practice to install Windows on the C: and games on the D: even though both of these are fast SSD drives?

Solution
I believe you go to "Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder", unless they changed it since I last checked. Then, you can select which library folder you want to install to when you go to download a game. Or for a game that's already installed to one drive, you can move it to the other by going to the game's "Properties" menu in Steam, then "Local Files > Move Install Folder" and selecting the library folder you want.

You can of course install games to both drives, as it shouldn't significantly affect performance having games on the same SSD as your OS.
I believe you go to "Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder", unless they changed it since I last checked. Then, you can select which library folder you want to install to when you go to download a game. Or for a game that's already installed to one drive, you can move it to the other by going to the game's "Properties" menu in Steam, then "Local Files > Move Install Folder" and selecting the library folder you want.

You can of course install games to both drives, as it shouldn't significantly affect performance having games on the same SSD as your OS.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game