Question Installing GTX 1080ti, replacing gtx 1060, Why does it crash now???

Jun 14, 2019
Hey guys, im pretty new to all this and learning a lot lately. I just acquired a 1080 ti FE for a smoking deal but im nervous to install it. Can any of you guys provide any tips or instructions above nvidias?
The little booklet says insert gpu into pcie slot and thats basically it. What about drivers? are there other things that need to be adjusted??
PLEASE Help lol

Both the cards are NVIDIA, so why the confusion. Just remove the 1060, and replace it with the GTX 1080 Ti, assuming you have a compatible PSU as well. There won't be any need to mess with the GPU drivers, but for better stability, use the DDU tool to do a CLEAN re-install and update of the GPU drivers.

Jun 14, 2019
Both the cards are NVIDIA, so why the confusion. Just remove the 1060, and replace it with the GTX 1080 Ti, assuming you have a compatible PSU as well. There won't be any need to mess with the GPU drivers, but for better stability, use the DDU tool to do a CLEAN re-install and update of the GPU drivers.

I have no clue what the DDU Tool is... and my confusion is simply not understanding all this stuff completely. I have a brand new Corsair CX750M PSU. It says that is sufficient on part picker??

I have no clue what the DDU Tool is... and my confusion is simply not understanding all this stuff completely. I have a brand new Corsair CX750M PSU. It says that is sufficient on part picker??
Okay. No worries. Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store). Check the following link. And yes, that PSU is sufficient for the GTX 1080 Ti.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Jun 14, 2019
Okay. No worries. Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store). Check the following link. And yes, that PSU is sufficient for the GTX 1080 Ti.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Ok, so do i install new GPU before attempting any driver/ software installs? Im sorry for the dumb questions but i just got this card and it was quite expensive so i dont want to ruin it because i dont understand something

Jun 14, 2019
Well card is installed, and things aren't going well. I did a clean install using ddu in safe mode to clean drivers and then reinstalled current Nvidia version... 430.86 I believe. When I go to start a game of pubg my computer crashes and restarts.

Any ideas what would cause this??? When booting in safe mode is it normal for everything to be zoomed in?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well card is installed, and things aren't going well. I did a clean install using ddu in safe mode to clean drivers and then reinstalled current Nvidia version... 430.86 I believe. When I go to start a game of pubg my computer crashes and restarts.

Any ideas what would cause this??? When booting in safe mode is it normal for everything to be zoomed in?

Is this "smoking deal" a used GPU?

Jun 14, 2019
The card is used by a good friend who I game with almost daily.
MOBO: MSI H110M Pro D
CPU: i5 7400
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: Mushkin Silverline

It plays Fortnite just fine BTW @ 300 FPS 1080p

Jun 14, 2019
It seems to crash on anything that's high load?? Like Pubg is way harder on a card than fortnite. It plays fortnite just fine. I tried CSGO and it crashed also. Im sorry im not that smart when it comes to this stuff guys. I wouldn't even know how to do a fresh install of windows. Im not 100% sure that I did the DDU thing correctly. I just followed a youtube video. ( who knows if the creator knows what he is doing) Im trying to understand and figure this out. I swapped my old card (1060 3GB) and everything runs perfectly. So its definitely something with the card not jiving with the rest of the system. PSU is a brand new CX750M and I know that its not the highest regarded PSU but its testing just fine. Im wondering if its a board/ CPU issue. Like the H110M and i5 7400 just aren't enough for that card??? I dunno lol I just want my new card to work.

Jun 14, 2019
@Metal Messiah. How do i go about doing a fresh windows install? I dont have a disk or anything, i bought the computer with it on it.
Also, I removed the card and put old one back in as i didnt want to damage 1080ti or anything else. Should I delete pubg and reinstall it with 1080 ti installed?
Im kinda lost

Jun 14, 2019
Motherboard should be fine but you can check for a newer BIOS. Make sure all power plugs are in and you are using the correct PCIe cables and ports on the power supply. Test the card in several things not just two games. Run 3Dmark, run a few other games, see what causes it to crash.
Anyone have any ideas. I’m trying to figure this out and not understanding all of this software completely makes it really hard. Someone please help!!

Jun 14, 2019
I figured it out... what are the chances a brand new PSU is bad right outta the box!! Thats what happened to me. I would not recommend Corsair's CX line of PSU's. As soon as you would apply substantial load it would shut itself off. That explains why it would run a GTX 1060 3GB and not a 1080Ti FE. I upgraded to a gold rated PS and now it works and goes through 3D and everything. Now i just gotta figure out how to keep the temps down.