Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

thanx

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

> thanx

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that somehow?

"chris" wrote:

> yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
> drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
>

> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
> got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
> primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
> when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
> what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
> >
> > thanx

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

anyone??

"chris" wrote:

> simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that somehow?
>
> "chris" wrote:
>
> > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
> > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
> >

> > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
> > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
> > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
> > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
> > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
> > >
> > > thanx

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Yes, you will need to set the BIOS to 1st boot device CD drive. When you 1st
boot your computer, you will see a black screen with the option to enter
setup, it is often "press Del key", but look for it, it may bean "F"key or
some combination of keys. Go through the menu that appears until you find
the boot sequence choices and change as needed. That done, restart the
computer with the XP CD in your drive and follow the excellent instructions
provided on the following link.
Thanks to Michael Stevens.

LOL, JAX

> simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or
anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that
somehow?

> "chris" wrote:
>
> > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
> > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
> >

> > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and
havnt
> > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this
the
> > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but
its
> > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell
me
> > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
> > >
> > > thanx

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

Just put the cd in and see if you boot off it automatically. If not you
will need to go into the bios and change the boot order to be able to boot
of the cd.

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or
anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that
somehow?

> "chris" wrote:
>
> > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
> > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
> >

> > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and
havnt
> > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this
the
> > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but
its
> > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell
me
> > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
> > >
> > > thanx

bar

For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.

No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which amongst other good things allows you to:
1. Set up drive [partition / format]
2. Copy existing Drive
3. Use new drive as C Drive

This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].

Good luck

"chris" wrote:

> right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
>
> thanx

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:39:02 -0700, "chris"
<chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
>
>thanx

Given your obvious lack of ANY experience in hardware installation and
OS loading, my recommendation is that you pack up the box and take it
to a "real" computer store (not Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA or the
like) and ask for help. Most will let you watch and ask questions.
That's how I first started out and it helped me immensely.

Now I build the things, and manage a large IT department with hundreds
of computers.

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Even though the software that comes with it is impressive, I have never had
a Maxtor drive hold up. The several I've had, just made it through the
warranty period.

To each his/her own, JAX

> For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your
MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.

> No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where
you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which
amongst other good things allows you to:
> 1. Set up drive [partition / format]
> 2. Copy existing Drive
> 3. Use new drive as C Drive
>
> This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from
Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].

> Good luck
>

> "chris" wrote:
>
> > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

> > thanx

Actually Maxtor have held up fairly well, including a 212meg for win
3.11, WD have given me problems although warranty replacement was fine.

JAX wrote:

> Even though the software that comes with it is impressive, I have never had
> a Maxtor drive hold up. The several I've had, just made it through the
> warranty period.
>
> To each his/her own, JAX
>
> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your
>
> MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.
>
>>No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where
>
> you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which
> amongst other good things allows you to:
>
>>1. Set up drive [partition / format]
>>2. Copy existing Drive
>>3. Use new drive as C Drive
>>
>>This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from
>
> Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].
>
>>Good luck
>>

>>"chris" wrote:
>>

>>>right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
>
> got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
> primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
> when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
> what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
>
>>>thanx

TRENDING THREADS